Posted to alt.home.repair

Default moisture sensor for sprinkler system

I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

My goal is to set the system to run every day, then have the sensor block
it if the soil is already moist enough. Ideally, it would hook to the same
terminals as the rain and freeze sensors.

I've found nothing but units designed for commercial/agricultural use,
though I keep looking. All of those are installed in the last zone and
wired back to the controller. That's OK, and I guess I can run a wire
around three sides of my house if I have to, but I'd rather have a
wireless system. Also, the commercial systems are very expensive.

Can anybody recommend anything?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:50:44 +0000 (UTC), "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

My goal is to set the system to run every day, then have the sensor block
it if the soil is already moist enough. Ideally, it would hook to the same
terminals as the rain and freeze sensors.

I've found nothing but units designed for commercial/agricultural use,
though I keep looking. All of those are installed in the last zone and
wired back to the controller. That's OK, and I guess I can run a wire
around three sides of my house if I have to, but I'd rather have a
wireless system. Also, the commercial systems are very expensive.

Can anybody recommend anything?

Our water authority gives rebates (up to $200.00) for installing...."
irrigation controller that automatically adjusts its watering
schedule..."

"These "smart" irrigation controllers automatically adjust watering
schedules based upon weather conditions."

IOW, the controller will not run during a rain shower and skips to the
next scheduled run time.

Must be better than running wires, digging, etc. They mention a "rain
sensor", this must a different device. (snwa.com)

hth.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
Must be better than running wires, digging, etc. They mention a "rain
sensor", this must a different device. (snwa.com)

You have a more direct link? That didn't seem to help a lot, unfortunately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:17:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

Oren wrote:
Must be better than running wires, digging, etc. They mention a "rain
sensor", this must a different device. (snwa.com)

You have a more direct link? That didn't seem to help a lot, unfortunately.

_Southern Nevada Water Authority_

(look under product on the right link for company names/brands).

Smart Irrigation Controller
http://www.snwa.com/html/cons_coupons_smartclock.html

Rain Sensor
http://www.snwa.com/html/cons_coupons_rainsensor.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
Must be better than running wires, digging, etc. They mention a "rain
sensor", this must a different device. (snwa.com)

You have a more direct link? That didn't seem to help a lot, unfortunately.

_Southern Nevada Water Authority_

Hmmm...I'll go look, thanks.

OHHHH...I see what I did--I typed in swna.com, not snwa.com

That took me to a Saskatchewan newspaper interface website...

Pilot error, sorry....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Must be better than running wires, digging, etc. They mention a "rain
sensor", this must a different device. (snwa.com)
You have a more direct link? That didn't seem to help a lot, unfortunately.

_Southern Nevada Water Authority_

Hmmm...I'll go look, thanks.

OHHHH...I see what I did--I typed in swna.com, not snwa.com

That took me to a Saskatchewan newspaper interface website...

Pilot error, sorry....

Called a malfunction between the keyboard and chair

The Hunter site is supposed to have a wireless set-up solution.(based
on the SNWA site).

*Rain sensors are a must on any irrigation system, after all, who
wants to have their sprinklers running while it’s raining out? Hunter
also offers wind, freeze and flow sensors for special applications
that require the added insurance they provide."
http://www.hunterindustries.com/Prod...rs/default.htm

(I don't need moisture sensors in the desert, but for some it makes
sense)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 12:50*pm, "SteveB"
wrote:
I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

My goal is to set the system to run every day, then have the sensor block
it if the soil is already moist enough. Ideally, it would hook to the same
terminals as the rain and freeze sensors.

I've found nothing but units designed for commercial/agricultural use,
though I keep looking. All of those are installed in the last zone and
wired back to the controller. That's OK, and I guess I can run a wire
around three sides of my house if I have to, but I'd rather have a
wireless system. Also, the commercial systems are very expensive.

Can anybody recommend anything?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

There is one with moisture sensor, that also checks the weather
forcast and wont run if it is supposed to rain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

My goal is to set the system to run every day, then have the sensor block
it if the soil is already moist enough. Ideally, it would hook to the same
terminals as the rain and freeze sensors.

I've found nothing but units designed for commercial/agricultural use,
though I keep looking. All of those are installed in the last zone and
wired back to the controller. That's OK, and I guess I can run a wire
around three sides of my house if I have to, but I'd rather have a
wireless system. Also, the commercial systems are very expensive.

Can anybody recommend anything?

I have a Hunter system with a rain/wind/freeze detector. Works quite well.
Uses a single, 2-wire connection back to the controller, each sensor is in
series with the other and each sensor simply says yes or no, if the circuit
is open - no watering, closed -its watering on schedule.
The Rain detector is adjustable. check out their ET system at:

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Prod...s/etintro.html

or all their other sensors at:

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Prod..._overview.html

Alternatively, with their controller you could design your own, whatever you
make, its final stage just needs to be a something that opens or closes the
(low voltage) circuit.

Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/08 01:50 pm SteveB wrote:

I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

My goal is to set the system to run every day, then have the sensor block
it if the soil is already moist enough. Ideally, it would hook to the same
terminals as the rain and freeze sensors.

I've found nothing but units designed for commercial/agricultural use,
though I keep looking. All of those are installed in the last zone and
wired back to the controller. That's OK, and I guess I can run a wire
around three sides of my house if I have to, but I'd rather have a
wireless system. Also, the commercial systems are very expensive.

Can anybody recommend anything?

Rainbird makes an adjustable rainfall sensor (wired) that connects into
their system. Ours works.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes, I know. I'm suggesting the rainfall sensor as a *possibly*
acceptable substitute.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:09:55 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes, I know. I'm suggesting the rainfall sensor as a *possibly*
acceptable substitute.

Perce

I noted the " soil moisture sensor " comment after I posted. I'm not
familiar with a " soil moisture sensor " that operates with a home
irrigation system and can be wireless, except those mentioned. It
relates to rainy conditions, etc.

OP?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes.........that, and the OP's remark that he would water daily made be
think
he might not know a lot about lawns. If he waters daily, he doesn't
need a freakin'
"moisture sensor". Unless he is a gadget geek )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes, I know. I'm suggesting the rainfall sensor as a possibly
acceptable substitute.

I noted the " soil moisture sensor " comment after I posted. I'm not
familiar with a " soil moisture sensor " that operates with a home
irrigation system and can be wireless, except those mentioned. It
relates to rainy conditions, etc.

OP?

I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks, everybody.

A rain sensor I've got. It works OK, I guess. It rains so seldom here I've
never been able to actually test it.

I'm really set on finding a wireless soil moisture sensor. If I go with a
wired sensor, I'll have to either tunnel under 40' of concrete driveway or
run a trench around three sides of the house. The last zone on the system
is on the far side of the driveway, and that's where the sensor has to go.
If it were in the first zone, it would shut off the whole schedule as soon
as zone 1 was wet.

I just found this unit that might work:
http://www.trilliumtech.net/homedepot/ecoprd8.html
I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see if it does the job.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes.........that, and the OP's remark that he would water daily made be
think he might not know a lot about lawns. If he waters daily, he
doesn't need a freakin' "moisture sensor". Unless he is a gadget geek
)

Well, I have to admit I am something of a gadget guy.

I'm trying to emulate a commercial system. With an appropriate soil
moisture sensor, I could set the sprinker system to run it's normal
schedule every day. If the ground was already wet enough, the sensor would
override the controller, stopping the watering for that day. During the
spring rainy season, it might go several weeks without running at all.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 10:08*pm, Norminn wrote:
Bart wrote:
Hello ? *The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes.........that, and the OP's remark that he would water daily made be
think
he might not know a lot about lawns. *If he waters daily, he doesn't
need a freakin'
"moisture sensor". *Unless he is a gadget geek )

He said he would set the controller to water every day in COMBINATION
with the moisture sensor. If the moisture sensor detects sufficient
moisture, it blocks the controller from activating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bart wrote:
Hello ? *The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes.........that, and the OP's remark that he would water daily made be
think
he might not know a lot about lawns. *If he waters daily, he doesn't
need a freakin'
"moisture sensor". *Unless he is a gadget geek )

He said he would set the controller to water every day in COMBINATION
with the moisture sensor. * If the moisture sensor detects sufficient
moisture, it blocks the controller from activating.

Here's one that does what you want that I found with a quick google
search:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/87...sor-p/8701.htm

I know I've seen others as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

[...]

Steve: let us know if the Vigoro Wireless Moisture Sensor works
satisfactorily. Sounds like a good idea......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

[...]

I finally found this on the Melnor web site. It's not available yet, and it only works with a Melnor controller that screws onto a bibcock.

Back to the drawing board....

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

[...]

First, are you sure it works that way? My Hunter system has the
rain/moisture sensor terminals wired in series so it affects all zones
equally independent of order.

Second, even if it truly is order dependent, why not just swap the
zones on the terminal strip so that the one easiest/closest to wire
for a moisture sensor is the one last in the sequence. Seems easier
than trenching & wiring all around the house...

I just found this unit that might work:
http://www.trilliumtech.net/homedepot/ecoprd8.html
I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see if it does the job.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:

wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

[...]

The units I *have* found (all of them wired) demand to be on the last
zone. If they're on the first zone, the water comes on and runs awhile,
the sensor says "Ooh, nicely moist now", and shuts down the controller,
never giving the other zones a chance to run.

Second, even if it truly is order dependent, why not just swap the
zones on the terminal strip so that the one easiest/closest to wire
for a moisture sensor is the one last in the sequence. Seems easier
than trenching & wiring all around the house...

Now why didn't I think of that? You're a good guy, blueman. I don't
care what it says on the bathroom wall down at the truckstop. :-)

Interestingly, I got a call from a supplier the other day telling me
that he has a unit that communicates through the valve wiring. I was
driving, so I asked him to have his local dealer call my home phone. I
haven't heard anything yet.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SteveB, Vos Sprinnkler Company, Parrish, FL wrote:
respond wrote:

I'm looking for a soil moisture sensor for my sprinkler system, but I
haven't found anything that does what I want.

Rainbird Smary-Y Soil Moisture Sensor, or Baseline's WaterTec S100 soil
moisture sensor kit.