Posted to alt.home.repair
The Space Boss

Default Need help with my outside sprinkler system

I have had my sprinkler's off all winter due to rain, cold, etc..

Anyways, I just turned them back on. There is an area in my backyard
with five faucets with the sprinkler "boxes" hooked up to the plastic
pipes that carry water throughout the landscaping.

Anyway, I noticed that a few of the boxes were dripping water. They
weren't dripping before. I tried tightening the connections, it didn't
help much. When I tried to tighten one of the fixtures tighter, it
BROKE off (the round thingy that screws on to the timer box). I think I
can "snap" that back into place but it will be harder than hell and
I'll need some lubricant.

Anyways my question is should I call a plumber, or a handyman? Or
should I attempt to fix this myself? I should say I'm not really that
mechanically inclined, but I DO have one of those "handyman's
encyclopedia" sets in the garage that I got (AS IF I was going to
assimilate all that knowledge by ozzmosis HA!), I wonder if those can
help?

Any help appreciated. Also why did they start leaking? They weren't
leaking before. If I didn't know better I would think they were
tampered with, or something? Two other rainboxes also are leaking in
another part of the yard. I though it was a fluke at first...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Possibly freezing damage. Generally need to blow out the system at end
of season, if in freeze prone climate zone. You could call irrigation/
landscaping company. If you decide to diy, bring those components with
you, make/model info. HD has some parts, or try irrigation/ pool
supplies store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Space Boss

Sev wrote:
Possibly freezing damage. Generally need to blow out the system at end
of season, if in freeze prone climate zone. You could call irrigation/
landscaping company. If you decide to diy, bring those components with
you, make/model info. HD has some parts, or try irrigation/ pool
supplies store.

What is this "blowing system out"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Space Boss wrote:

What is this "blowing system out"?

Hooking up an air compressor and blowing the water out of the lines,
so that the water doesn't freeze, expand, and break the pipes or
fittings.

I have to winterize a weekender mobile home up in Flagstaff (AZ)
when I go up there in the winter. Same concept - shut off water, hook
up compressor to outside hose bib, blow until nothing but air
left in the pipes.

If your sprinkler system is set up for this already, there should
be some point after the main sprinkler supply line shutoff
that you can attach an air line. If not, you'll need to tee in
a fitting for the compressor to attach to.

Jerry