Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default moisture sensor for sprinkler system

Oren wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:09:55 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 07/11/08 02:45 pm Bart wrote:

Hello ? The OP said moisture sensor, not rainfall sensor.

Yes, I know. I'm suggesting the rainfall sensor as a possibly
acceptable substitute.

I noted the " soil moisture sensor " comment after I posted. I'm not
familiar with a " soil moisture sensor " that operates with a home
irrigation system and can be wireless, except those mentioned. It
relates to rainy conditions, etc.

OP?

I appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks, everybody.

A rain sensor I've got. It works OK, I guess. It rains so seldom here I've
never been able to actually test it.

I'm really set on finding a wireless soil moisture sensor. If I go with a
wired sensor, I'll have to either tunnel under 40' of concrete driveway or
run a trench around three sides of the house. The last zone on the system
is on the far side of the driveway, and that's where the sensor has to go.
If it were in the first zone, it would shut off the whole schedule as soon
as zone 1 was wet.

I just found this unit that might work:
http://www.trilliumtech.net/homedepot/ecoprd8.html
I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see if it does the job.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement