Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 240 outlet question

I have a 240VAC twist-lock outlet that was installed to power a
repeater/coupler for X-10 home automation gear. I seem to remember (very
dimly) that it's against the code to spawn multiple 110VAC outlets
downstream from that 240VAC. Since I am out of neutral and ground
connections and have no more knockouts left in the circuit box, it would be
handy to be able to wire in some new 110VAC outlets to the 240VAC one since
the coupler/repeater only uses a few watts.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are about 110VAC outlets downstream
from a 240VAC one? I know one consideration is that the 240AC outlet be
connected to a ganged breaker so that if there's a problem, both legs of the
circuit will be disconnected if either one trips it. That's how it's set
up right now, so if that's the only constraint I should be good to go . . .

TIA

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobby Green wrote:
I have a 240VAC twist-lock outlet that was installed to power a
repeater/coupler for X-10 home automation gear. I seem to remember (very
dimly) that it's against the code to spawn multiple 110VAC outlets
downstream from that 240VAC. Since I am out of neutral and ground
connections and have no more knockouts left in the circuit box, it would be
handy to be able to wire in some new 110VAC outlets to the 240VAC one since
the coupler/repeater only uses a few watts.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are about 110VAC outlets downstream
from a 240VAC one? I know one consideration is that the 240AC outlet be
connected to a ganged breaker so that if there's a problem, both legs of the
circuit will be disconnected if either one trips it. That's how it's set
up right now, so if that's the only constraint I should be good to go . . .

..
I know of no reason you couldn't add 120V outlets if a neutral is
available and the breaker is 15 or 20A.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 9:16*am, "Bobby Green" wrote:
[...]

My garage shop has a 220 branch (with ganged breaker in main house
panel), the first device on that branch is a 220 outlet for my table
saw and band saw, then there are four more 110 outlets for my work
area coming off the 220 outlet (two per side). It passed inspection
here, and I like the fact that overloading any of the 110's shuts down
all of them. If you are worried then just replace the 220 outlet with
a small 4 slot subpanel and move the old 220 and two new 110 branches
off that panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:16:38 -0400, "Bobby Green"
wrote:

[...]

It is legal.

You have to have a neutral in the box. You didn't say if the plug was
120/240? If it is 240 only, you will not have a neutral in the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message

You have to have a neutral in the box. You didn't say if the plug was
120/240? If it is 240 only, you will not have a neutral in the box.

Sometimes, anyway. There are plenty of 3 wire + ground circuits now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that a code requirement or a nice thing to do?

--
Bobby G.

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Bobby Green wrote:
[...]

Just run your 240 VAC line into an auxiliary panel. Then you can run
circuits out of it.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply, Rick. It sounds as if it's legal, though, to run the
110VAC outlets out of the oversized metal electrical box I mounted the
240VAC outlet in. That would be the ideal solution, effort and cost-wise,
that is. This is a "nice to have" but not necessary installation. What do
4 slot subpanels cost should I change my mind (or the inspector change it
for me)?

--
Bobby G.

"RickH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great, thanks! Everyone seems to agree that 120VAC outlets wired downstream
from a 240VAC with neutral on a ganged breaker is codeworthy. I don't know
why I thought differently.

--
Bobby G.

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .

.
I know of no reason you couldn't add 120V outlets if a neutral is
available and the breaker is 15 or 20A.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Just to double check. Black, Red, White, Green/bare

Don't assume the white is neutral. It may be your other hot.

Electrical outlet question William Glennon Home Ownership 4 December 2nd 05 02:50 PM
GFI Outlet question Platebanger Home Repair 3 July 16th 05 03:35 AM
110v outlet question: what does this mean? Rick Electronics Repair 17 June 19th 05 05:06 AM
outlet question DonLanger Home Repair 6 December 20th 04 11:46 PM
GFCI Outlet Question mooseshoes Electronics Repair 5 December 17th 03 01:51 AM