Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default 240 outlet question

Bobby Green wrote:
I have a 240VAC twist-lock outlet that was installed to power a
repeater/coupler for X-10 home automation gear. I seem to remember (very
dimly) that it's against the code to spawn multiple 110VAC outlets
downstream from that 240VAC. Since I am out of neutral and ground
connections and have no more knockouts left in the circuit box, it would be
handy to be able to wire in some new 110VAC outlets to the 240VAC one since
the coupler/repeater only uses a few watts.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are about 110VAC outlets downstream
from a 240VAC one? I know one consideration is that the 240AC outlet be
connected to a ganged breaker so that if there's a problem, both legs of the
circuit will be disconnected if either one trips it. That's how it's set
up right now, so if that's the only constraint I should be good to go . . .

..
I know of no reason you couldn't add 120V outlets if a neutral is
available and the breaker is 15 or 20A.

--
bud--