Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
William Glennon

Default Electrical outlet question

Hello,

I have two electric outlets outside my house that are not working? I'm
re-set all GFI's in my house (they were not tripped). I've re-set the fuse
box switch and replaced the outside outlets. They are grounded fine. I'm not
an electrician but would anybody have any ideas why this is happening before
I contact an electrician?

Your help would be appreciated

Thank You

PS: Any recommendations on a electrician in the Apex /Cary area.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

Where in your house is each outlet located?

Are both outlets in the same room?

Did these outlets once work, but stopped working?

Some outlets are on a wall switch for lighting. Have you tried turning on
wall switches in the room?

Also some outlets which are on switches only have the top outlet on the
switch, but the bottom is always on. Have you tried both the top and bottom
of each outlet?

And sometimes a wire will come lose in one outlet, then other outlets "down
stream" from there will stop working. This would usually be one or more
outlets next to each other.

Tripped circuit breakers are hard to see. They look like they are on. Might
want to try turning off, then on every circuit breaker.

If none of this works, look in yellow pages for electrician.

"William Glennon" wrote in message
Hello,

I have two electric outlets outside my house that are not working? I'm
re-set all GFI's in my house (they were not tripped). I've re-set the fuse
box switch and replaced the outside outlets. They are grounded fine. I'm
not an electrician but would anybody have any ideas why this is happening
before I contact an electrician?

Your help would be appreciated

Thank You

PS: Any recommendations on a electrician in the Apex /Cary area.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"William Glennon" wrote:

Hello,

I have two electric outlets outside my house that are not working? I'm
re-set all GFI's in my house (they were not tripped). I've re-set the fuse
box switch and replaced the outside outlets. They are grounded fine. I'm not
an electrician but would anybody have any ideas why this is happening before
I contact an electrician?

These outlets are probably fed by a hot wire that comes from some
other outlet. If so, that outlet could be bad, or the wire coming
out of that outlet could be lose or the connection broken. Or that
could be yet another GFI that you hadn't found yet. You need to
track down where the power is feed from to get to these two outside
outlets.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Doug Miller

In article , "William Glennon" wrote:
Hello,

I have two electric outlets outside my house that are not working? I'm
re-set all GFI's in my house (they were not tripped). I've re-set the fuse
box switch and replaced the outside outlets. They are grounded fine. I'm not
an electrician but would anybody have any ideas why this is happening before
I contact an electrician?

You've reset all the GFIs except the one that's tripped. :-) Probably one more
somewhere that you don't know about, or have overlooked. Check kitchen,
bathrooms, garage, and basement. If that still comes up empty, check every
room on the first floor of the house: sometimes things are wired strangely.

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Even though a GFi can be manually reset, they can go bad internally and
need to be replaced. Easy to check. Use tester to see if there is power
to input terminals. If there is, GFT needs to be replaced.