Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylight window recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic buckets
so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic buckets
so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Dripping rain gives the occupants a more genuine sense of being
outdoors. It's a feature, not a bug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Velux are an excellent choice and they stand behind their warranties if
you have any problems with the window. Installation of the skylights
are most crucial. The instructions that come with the Velux units must
be followed to the letter to guarantee a leak free roof and the proper
Velux flashing kit must be used again following all instructions. You
can count on developing problems in about 15 years anyway no matter how
good the installation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

I have 4 Velux units ... the small
almost square unit, about 24 x 26. Two
of them
were put into an existing roof. Now
the roof is completely new. There was never
any leaks. They all have the little
vent flap which can be operated by a
pull cord,
a hook on a stick or by Velux electric
motors. These all have the electric
motors.
Two are in 2 bathrooms which never had
windows, so after many years of having to
turn on the lights, there is nice
daylight. The vent flaps are usually
open except on
the coldest and hottest days (Chicago
area). The other 2 units are in the
kitchen.
The vents really helps to get rid of
cooking odors, etc. I am now building a
new
home and will probably have Velux in the
house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Are you going to install them or are you having them installed?

Anyway, I shingled an 18 yr old roof in the north northeast that had two
fixed Veluxs. There was some evidence of prior minor leaking. I very
carefully removed the rubber seals, head, foot and step flashing and
reused it. Used flashing tape under metal flashing, sealed all flashing nail heads with
roofing cement. Sealed all old nail holes in flashing with roof cement.
That was about a year ago. Lots of heavy rain, wind, ice and snow in
that time. No runs, no drips, no errors.

So, if I can get 18 year old ones redone without leaks, surly new ones
can be leak free if installed correctly.

I got the skylight flashing tape installation procedure from:

Roofing with Asphalt Shingles
Mike Guertin
Taunton Press
http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...in-070602.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote in :

I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. All installed
over 15 yrs ago. No problems.

My only caution is to make sure that who ever installs yours reads AND
understands the installation instructions.

....and follows them to the letter!

Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in

:

[...]

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...ng-with-asphal
t-shingles-mike-guertin-070602.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. All installed over
15 yrs ago. No problems.

My only caution is to make sure that who ever installs yours reads AND
understands the installation instructions.

Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:11:46 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Boden wrote in :

I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. All installed
over 15 yrs ago. No problems.

My only caution is to make sure that who ever installs yours reads AND
understands the installation instructions.

...and follows them to the letter!

Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in

:

[...]

I'll add one point. Get the type that mount on a raised curb, not the
ones that mount (nearly) flush to the roof. The nearly flush ones are
less obtrusive looking from outside, but are much more prone to
leaking that the ones with raised and properly flashed curbs.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 7:06*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

How about Loewen out of colorado

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:13*pm, Boden wrote:
I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. *All installed over
15 yrs ago. *No problems.

My only caution is to make sure that who ever installs yours reads AND
understands the installation instructions.

Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in
:

[...]

* * * * * *http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...asphalt-shingl...

I put in Velux (18"X2") before a re-roof and the roofer botched-it
(too lazy to ask for or get a screwdriver to remove the sealed collar.
I took it apart and sealed all with urethane caulk after straightening
the flashing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 1:35*am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:06*am, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

How about Loewen out of colorado

Velux is widely regarded as the best source for sklights. I'd get
either fixed ones or if you want them to open, get the electric
ones. If you go half way with the manual crank type, you'll wind up
not opening them because it's too much hassle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J.H. Holliday wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of
the US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic
buckets so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Oh, ye of little faith...my seven 2'x4' non-opening Velux skylights have
never leaked a drop. And they have been through four hurricanes with 150
mph gusts and countless lesser storms.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 5:06*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever you choose, make sure you think about a sun shade feature. A
skylight can really turn your house into an oven in the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 8, 10:37*am, "J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic buckets
so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Properly installed skylights, don't leak. rolling eyes

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in
:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of
the US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic
bucket

so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Properly installed skylights, don't leak. rolling eyes

Properly installed QUALITY skylights don't leak. Just like properly
installed quality roofing.

I am nothing more than a professional wanna-be. I've never had a roof,
flashing, valley, window, skylight, chimney, or door leak. I read
authoritative info. I follow directions. That's the only difference
between a professional and a professional wanna-be.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of
the US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic
bucket

so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Properly installed skylights, don't leak. rolling eyes

Properly installed QUALITY skylights don't leak. Just like properly
installed quality roofing.

I am nothing more than a professional wanna-be. I've never had a roof,
flashing, valley, window, skylight, chimney, or door leak. I read
authoritative info. I follow directions. That's the only difference
between a professional and a professional wanna-be.

Skylights aside...are you saying that if you follow directions, and
read up on said project, that you can do just a good of job as a pro,
no matter what the job is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Skylights aside...are you saying that if you follow directions, and
read up on said project, that you can do just a good of job as a pro,
no matter what the job is?

I believe that is true...as a general statement. Given that the pro
has to do the job within a time frame and the home owner "pro" has all
the time he needs to be anal about the appearance and quality of the
work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in
:

On Jul 10, 10:54*pm, Red Green wrote:
Ron wrote
innews:81f60b4f-c6da-42e3-88d6-7c0eccb9448

:

On Jul 8, 10:37*am, "J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

om

[...]

Certain things yes, certain things no and certain things better.

Points:

In the same timeframe as a pro providing we are doing the
exact same work & detail, no.

You can read all you want on taping and mudding drywall
but it takes a lot of experience to do it like a pro.

I will not do half-assed good 'nuff, who'll ever know things.

There's a good enough possibility it will be done better than
a pro in SOME cases.

You need to know your skillset and ability to figure things out from
them.

But the real question is what is a pro?
The Borg has "Pros".
Someone listed in the Yellow Pages that lists the service?
Someone who has been hacking for 10 years?