Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Skylight window recommendations

I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. All installed over
15 yrs ago. No problems.

My only caution is to make sure that who ever installs yours reads AND
understands the installation instructions.

Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the
US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Are you going to install them or are you having them installed?

Anyway, I shingled an 18 yr old roof in the north northeast that had two
fixed Veluxs. There was some evidence of prior minor leaking. I very
carefully removed the rubber seals, head, foot and step flashing and
reused it. Used flashing tape under metal flashing, sealed all flashing nail heads with
roofing cement. Sealed all old nail holes in flashing with roof cement.
That was about a year ago. Lots of heavy rain, wind, ice and snow in
that time. No runs, no drips, no errors.

So, if I can get 18 year old ones redone without leaks, surly new ones
can be leak free if installed correctly.

I got the skylight flashing tape installation procedure from:

Roofing with Asphalt Shingles
Mike Guertin
Taunton Press
http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...in-070602.html