Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water in above ground pool is cloudy... not sure what to try next

Hi Everyone,

We let our above ground pool go for a few months, and now I'm unable
to get the water clear. It's an above ground pool, 25 feet diameter
and about 5 feet deep on average. With a few larger trees in our back
yard, the bottom was covered in leaves, which I believe started
growing algae.

After shocking the heck outta the pool I spent several days vacuuming
the pool to get as many leaves and crud from the bottom as I could
find, though it wasn't easy since I couldn't see the bottom. After
this plus scrubbing the sides I balanced the chemicals (still cloudy)
and took a sample to my local pool store where they suggested a 'super
floc'. I poured twice the standard dose for my pool (about 8 oz) and
ran the pump for 2 hours then shut off for 24 hours. I saw no change,
so vacuumed again and did another dose... again no change.

Went back to pool store and they recommended another clarifier which
also didn't work. From what they said the first would make the crud
settle to the bottom and the second would make the particals stick
together so they could be sucked into filter.

This was all last week, and I've let my pump run 24/hours for the last
4-5 days with still no change. The water is clearer, but still not
crystal and can't see the bottom.

I'm continuing to vacuum out every couple of days and keeping the
chemicals balanced, but I'm not sure what to try next. I've read some
folks say they drained 2/3 of the pool, but I'd rather not do that
since I don't want to hose the vinyl liner.

Any suggestions? I've been messing with the pool for 2 weeks now, and
still no luck. At this rate it'll be winter before it's ready to
go Also note to self, maintain the pool through winter this year.

Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message

[...]

It takes time, but keep tryin'.
Get some Alum(powder), I assume you have sand filter, use about 1lb per
10000 gal (give or take) I usually use a little more.Pour it into your
skimmer. It;s similar to super floc, I get mine at Leslies Pool supply.
Watch your pressure because it sticks to the sand and catches the finer
particles and will raise the pressure. When you vaccum, vacuum to waste and
water your yard with it. Rinse and repeat until clear. I usually quit using
clorine about Oct, but keep the filter running during the winter and it
turns green, but with alittle patience and some Alum, I can clear it up in a
couple of weeks. it also helps to get your PH balance while doing this too
HTH

http://www.lesliespool.com/Shop

http://www.lesliespool.com/Shop?actn...d=alum&x=0&y=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" writes:

"Alex" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

We let our above ground pool go for a few months, and now I'm unable
to get the water clear. It's an above ground pool, 25 feet diameter
and about 5 feet deep on average. With a few larger trees in our back
yard, the bottom was covered in leaves, which I believe started
growing algae.

Cloudy white or cloudy green?

Green is algae. I'd use liquid chlorine and algaecide.
White is dead stuff. You just need to filter and back flush a lot.

If the chemical levels are right, no reason you can't use the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:13:50 -0700 (PDT), Alex
wrote:

[...]

Try cleaning, inspecting, or replacing the filter. Cleaning the filter
should help clear up the water, beside the other work you've done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

Did you do a search in this group? I seem to recall someone else having
that same problem a while back. I think the problem is that there are too
many chemicals in the pool in relation to the water (As I recall from
another posting). So you probably need to add more water. I could be wrong
about this as I am just speaking from memory and not from experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kelly Jones" writes:

"Alex" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We let our above ground pool go for a few months, and now I'm unable
to get the water clear. It's an above ground pool, 25 feet diameter
and about 5 feet deep on average. With a few larger trees in our back
yard, the bottom was covered in leaves, which I believe started
growing algae.

When I see this problem in our hot tub it indicates low total alkainity. A
cup of baking soda clears it right up.

No.

Just randomly adding chemicals won't help.

Check the chemical levels first. A test kit is cheap and quick.
Do not take your water to a pool store for an analysis.
You're just asking to be robbed.

I see the OP posts from Google Groups.
Too bad.
I've got Google Groups blocked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

The "floc" should of worked. I have a suspicion it's your filtering system
or you didn't use the floc right. With a sand filter you can pour the floc
directly into the skimmer then backwash. But I doubt you have a sand filter.
I use a product called "Clear Floc" (I think) but I've only used it once
where I put the floc in the pool and vacuumed out the settled goo. Floc
should clear your pool up pretty quick if you use it right. You have to
follow the directions to the letter.

Don't let your chlorine level drop. If you had an algae bloom you need to
combat it with a slightly heavier than normal amount of chlorine. Algae is a
persistent mother. You have to beat the crap out it. I'd drain some water
too. About 1/4 at least.

If that doesn't work it's got to be your filter isn't working right or your
multi valve is leaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drain & refill ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

After shocking the heck outta the pool I spent several days vacuuming
the pool to get as many leaves and crud from the bottom as I could
find, though it wasn't easy since I couldn't see the bottom. After
this plus scrubbing the sides I balanced the chemicals (still cloudy)
and took a sample to my local pool store where they suggested a 'super
floc'. I poured twice the standard dose for my pool (about 8 oz) and
ran the pump for 2 hours then shut off for 24 hours. I saw no change,
so vacuumed again and did another dose... again no change.

Don't use twice the amount needed on clarifier. When you do it does
not work. I know we tend to think if one is good two is better but
that doesn't apply to pool chemicals.

Also what kind of filter do you have?

Steve B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message
Drain & refill ?

That's a bit drastic and usually unnecessary. He could because it's above
ground. Mine you can't because it can crack the pool (in ground) I've never
had to drain more than a little more than a quarter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B." wrote in message

After shocking the heck outta the pool I spent several days vacuuming
the pool to get as many leaves and crud from the bottom as I could
find, though it wasn't easy since I couldn't see the bottom. After
this plus scrubbing the sides I balanced the chemicals (still cloudy)
and took a sample to my local pool store where they suggested a 'super
floc'. I poured twice the standard dose for my pool (about 8 oz) and
ran the pump for 2 hours then shut off for 24 hours. I saw no change,
so vacuumed again and did another dose... again no change.

Don't use twice the amount needed on clarifier. When you do it does
not work. I know we tend to think if one is good two is better but
that doesn't apply to pool chemicals.

Also what kind of filter do you have?

Steve B.

With floc it's important to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I'm guessing he doesn't
have a sand filter because he probably wouldn't be having so many problems.
I know when I first started I was tempted to throw anything in that said it
worked but the normal course is to get the water tested. Adjust the
chemicals and use floc. Then backwash and repeat floc as necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it cloudy green or cloudy white?

In my last house we had such a pool and when opening it for the season
there would be some algae and crud and it would start green and I could get
that under control with the shock and floc but sometimes (usually in really
hot weather) it would get cloudy white. It did not seem to be algae but it
would never get that nice crystal clear where you could see the sun dancing
on the bottom. I could never overcome that until it cooled down later in
the year.

--
Richard Thoms
Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Drain & refill ?

That's a bit drastic and usually unnecessary.

Well, we'll see. A friends pool went out of whack and after 3 weeks of add
this/vacuum that and $$$, it was still a mess..

Posted to alt.home.repair

topservicepros richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com writes:

Is it cloudy green or cloudy white?

In my last house we had such a pool and when opening it for the season
there would be some algae and crud and it would start green and I could get
that under control with the shock and floc but sometimes (usually in really
hot weather) it would get cloudy white. It did not seem to be algae but it
would never get that nice crystal clear where you could see the sun dancing
on the bottom. I could never overcome that until it cooled down later in
the year.

The white stuff has to be dead organic matter.

Nothing that grows in a pool would be white that I know of.

Both sand and diatom filters should eventually remove it.
I've had the same experience of it taking a while
(with a sand filter) but periodic backflushes should
remove it. Two or three weeks should do it.

The important thing is, go ahead and use the pool.
It doesn't look as nice as a crystal clear pool but if
the chlorine level is right, there is nothing in the pool
that will hurt you.

I've had a LOT of experience with crud in the pool,
I'm under a lot of trees.

Last year I had 2 big trees removed and had the first year
in almost 20 years where the cover had no holes in it in
the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This was all last week, and I've let my pump run 24/hours for the last
4-5 days with still no change. The water is clearer, but still not
crystal and can't see the bottom.

If you still can't see the bottom then most likely still have organic
matter decomposing on the bottom. You'll never get the water clear
until the bottom is free of this gunk. Have someone with a scuba mask
dive down and vacuum until the bottom is clean. Then with balanced
water and clarifier your pool will have no choice but to become clear.
just keeps the water keeps circulating through the filter.

If this is to much then re-fill with clean water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The white stuff has to be dead organic matter.

Nothing that grows in a pool would be white that I know of.

Both sand and diatom filters should eventually remove it.
I've had the same experience of it taking a while
(with a sand filter) but periodic backflushes should
remove it. Two or three weeks should do it.

The important thing is, go ahead and use the pool.
It doesn't look as nice as a crystal clear pool but if
the chlorine level is right, there is nothing in the pool
that will hurt you.

I've had a LOT of experience with crud in the pool,
I'm under a lot of trees.

Last year I had 2 big trees removed and had the first year
in almost 20 years where the cover had no holes in it in
the spring.

I have a sand filter and have absolutely no problems. I have lots of trees
too. I watch the chlorine closely. In fact it stays so clear I need to check
it more often for other things but I usually don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 11:13 pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

This is a tough and very frustrating situation I know... I just
cleared mine which is 21' x 38' and I have to say I was ready to empty
it completely after 3-4 weeks of trying. But I endured with excellent
guidance from my local pool store.

I use a cartridge filter, only because that's what the pool came with.
I prefer DE because you can maintain it almost effortlessly and
inexpensively. Regardless if your water is stable and filtering is not
working to clear it here is what got me past that point. Important is
DO NOT LET YOUR CHLORINE LEVEL DROP! Next I added a product called
FiberClear to my filter system which acts much like DE to filter out
the finer particles in the water. Then I ran the filter for 2 days 12
- 14 hours with my vacuum hose on the bottom of the pool . Cleaned my
filter once again, and repeated, this time using the pools normal
circulation. (Note) if you keep pouring in chlorine and it disappears
in a short time, it could be chlor-locked with all the shocking.)
Liquid last a little longer and is easier to stabilize.

GOOD LUCK I hope this helps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 3:50*pm, wrote:
On Jul 7, 11:13 pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

Hi Everyone --

Thanks for the great replies! I'm now at a few weeks in trying to get
this water cleared-up, and though it's MUCH clearer then it was, it's
still cloudy as heck. I can at least see the bottom alittle
(sometimes). I've been working with the guys at Leslie Pools and
I've used about three different products. They think there's probably
some leaves or something at the bottom I'm missing with the vacuum and
algae or something is growing under it and releasing more crap into
the pool.

I'm currently draining about 1/4 to 1/2 the water to refill, and
hopefully that'll give me a good starting point where I can see the
bottom and vacuum up whatever the heck is down there. I've actually
gotten in it a few times and walked around, though I couldn't see the
bottom.

The pool does have a sand filter, and the sand was just changed out
two years ago -- so I assume it's still okay.

But I'll post another message in the next few days after I've filled
it back up and ran more chlorine through it.

Thanks for all the input though... it's encouraging to know that it'll
be clean at some point -- even though we've already missed out on most
of the summer thus far :-/

Take care --

Alex