Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Trane fan "On" for outside air?

Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"MNRebecca" wrote in message
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

Setting the thermostat "fan setting" to the "On" position runs the blower
24/7, as it circulates indoor air.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"MNRebecca" wrote in message
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

It just runs the fan the same as in auto. It recirculates the air in the
house.
It will not change anything so it will not bring any outside air into the
house.

In other words, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"MNRebecca" wrote in message
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

If the outside temperature is that much cooler at night than your home, you
might want to consider getting a window fan to bring cool air in at night.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Rats. But thanks for the info, everybody.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jun 29, 8:56*pm, MNRebecca wrote:
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? *In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the
start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my
case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it
"on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't
too hot outside.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
EXT EXT is offline

It has nothing to do with the thermostat. What happens exactly, is dependant
on the actual configuration of the HVAC equipment in your house.

"MNRebecca" wrote in message
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jun 30, 7:33*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
[...]

You are absolutely nuttier than a fruit cake Harry if you think that
is true.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Harry is right. Turning the fan "ON" will circulate the cooler air
that sinks to the lowest level of the house and cool the upper levels
while heating up the lower levels. So, it depends on where the
thermostat is located. In my 4-level split, the thermostat is on the
third level up, and running the fan "ON" cools it down about 2 degrees
while heating up the lower levels, and does delay turning the
compressor on by an hour or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
[...]

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect
Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one
comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it
is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for
the machine to cool.

I have also considered making a basement floor level return air
registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is
going to waste.

BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a
person 'nuts'

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jun 29, 8:56 pm, MNRebecca wrote:
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the
start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my
case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it
"on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't
too hot outside.

Do a little homework sport, running the fan in summer in "ON" will actaully
raise the humidity level in your home, and make you more uncomfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
[...]

sigh another google poster.... try that down here in the deep south. First
off we don't have basements, second if you want to run your power bill up,
go ahead on, 3rd, it will also raise the humidity level in your home and
make it even more uncomfortable. Here is a little physics question for
you... If you have a 10 x 12 room with 8ft ceiling, and its 80 degrees with
70% RH, how many btus of latent heat do you have.... now run the same calc
at 75 degrees @ 50% RH.....How much electricity are you going to use to keep
that room cool?? now tell me you just want to run the fan. Its a whole lot
more cost effective to *MAINTAIN* a constant even temperature, than it is to
have wild temperature swings.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jun 30, 8:36*pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Says another person who "I know what I know and don't confuse me with
facts!" You might be right about the south (I been there too damn
many years to ever want to go back), but I am not in the south. It
works up here.

The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are
running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 1, 4:45*am, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:46:18 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
[...]

You and Harry are clueless. As Noon said, it will raise the humidity
level. Also, trying to pull that cool air from the basement will
reduce the ability of your system to be able to remove the warm air
from a first and second floor. Air will take the path of least
resistance and you will remove no warm air from your upper levels.
You two should really get a clue before you start babbling
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

And who said anythign about pulling cool air from the basement? Yes,
I mentioned it as a _possible_ thing to try but that has nothing to do
with what either of us has attempted to explain to you. But then your
handle pretty much explains you 'Bubba'.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

And who said anythign about pulling cool air from the basement?

Read your next sentence...

Yes, I mentioned it as a _possible_ thing to try but that has nothing to
do

That's Priceless...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area.
Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.

So YES, running the A/C is the better choice. Unless you like to waste
money.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 1, 12:25*pm, "KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area.
Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.

Especially if your ductwork is in the attic!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Do some quantitative testing...run a graph on simular days with simular heat
and RH, plot them with both A/C, and fan only, then come talk to me.

:The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are
:running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.

Actually that is incorrect. The RH in a home is always changing, unless you
never run water, you never sweat, you never cook, you never bathe, you seal
up the commodes, have no house plants, or people or pets living there, then
there is the residual condensate on the evap coils that gets put back in the
air when running the fan only.

:So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
:running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

If you have a new, high efficiency system. the cost to operate is
negligible, and the comfort level is much higher. OTOH, if you have a system
that is more than 20 years old, and your just trying to cheap out, then all
bets are off.
Either way, your the one that has to live with it, and *my* home is
comfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Be careful of putting a return in the basement. You must have an
equal supply if you’re heating system in there. A return in a space
with a natural draft or induced draft appliance can back draft the
appliance. This is also against code.

The second issue is pulling warm moist air into a space cool enough to
cause higher humidity or even condensation in the basement. This can
cause mold to grow.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 1, 9:22*am, "KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

And who said anythign about pulling cool air from the basement?

Read your next sentence...

Yes, I mentioned it as a _possible_ thing to try but that has nothing to
do

That's Priceless...

Reading comprehension problem there is there? Read what we are
actually discussing. My mention of the basement was a FUTURE (caps
for the reading impaired) possibility. We are discussing what is
CURRENT.

Harry k

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
[...]

So does yours, Hairy. *;-)
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Can't you spell?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 1, 3:56*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:57:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
[...]

Did you just re-read the first 2 sentences of your paragraph just
above?
First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"?
I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I
ever need to know about you.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

See my reply to LApert. Appears you also can't read.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 1, 9:25*am, "KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area.
Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.

So YES, running the A/C is the better choice. Unless you like to waste
money.

wCare to measure just how much heat a fractional horse motor would
add? Still comes down to the difference between the cost of the fan
and the cost of the compressor - fan wins as long as the house is at a
comfort level.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

This can be correct; the typical house in the US has 30% duct
leakage. The ones I’ve measured normally are much higher. So if the
return is outside the thermal envelope (only testing can determine
this and not visual) and it leaks (guaranteed unless the ducts have
been sealed very well) or the supply ducts leak (also guaranteed)
running the fan will pull air from the outside into your house. Or
the closing of interior doors will make rooms go positive in pressure
forcing air to the outside and the space with the return will go
negative again this will increase infiltration/ exfiltration.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

OK if you want to nit pick. The humidity level is what it is when the
fan turns on. Turning on the fan does not change it. Is that
clearer?

:So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
:running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

If you have a new, high efficiency system. the cost to operate is
negligible, and the comfort level is much higher. OTOH, if you have a system
that is more than 20 years old, and your just trying to cheap out, then all
bets are off.

So I can run a 'high efficiency" 3 hp motor at "minimum cost'? Wow!
Glad to know that. And just how does that 'minimum cost' comapre to a
fractional hourse fan motor that is ALSO in a 'high efficiency'
system? BTW my system is less than 10 years old and yes it is a high
efficiency model. Change out from a system that was probably built
back in the 40s.

Either way, your the one that has to live with it, and *my* home is
comfortable.- Hide quoted text -

Well goody for you. Did you somehow miss that *my* house is also
comfortable? It works for me and I prefer the comfort given with the
fan to listening to the AC give the same comfort at additional cost.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

Reading comprehension problem there is there?

No problem reading or comprehending here... unlike what's going on in your
little planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area.
Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.

So YES, running the A/C is the better choice. Unless you like to waste
money.

wCare to measure just how much heat a fractional horse motor would
add? Still comes down to the difference between the cost of the fan
and the cost of the compressor - fan wins as long as the house is at a
comfort level.

A motor can add 1000 + watts (which is heat) to your home.
That's HEAT, no matter how you cut it.

Running a compressor REMOVES heat, that's money well spent, if you want to
cool your home.

I suggest you get a clue, before you start argueing over matters which you
don't understand.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

BTW my system is less than 10 years old and yes it is a high
efficiency model. Change out from a system that was probably built
back in the 40s.

Energy to run a motor is heat, no matter what you want to think.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Andy Energy" wrote in message

So if the
return is outside the thermal envelope (only testing can determine
this and not visual)

Bull**** all my ducts are inside the thermal envelope I guarantee--visual
inspection reveals absolutely no crawlspace, there no ducts in the attic and
none of them go underground in a tunnel over to the neighbor's ****ing
garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

Well goody for you. Did you somehow miss that *my* house is also
comfortable? It works for me and I prefer the comfort given with the
fan to listening to the AC give the same comfort at additional cost.

Harry K

Harry, let me ask you a technical question.....

How much dick do you suck in an average day?

a) 1-3

b) 3-5

c) I need to have cum gutters installed on my chin.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

We sure have the biggest batch of iliderats in this group!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message
First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"?
I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I
ever need to know about you.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

See my reply to LApert. Appears you also can't read.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

We sure have the biggest batch of iliderats in this group!

Reminds me of the classified newspaper ad from years back:

Illiterate? Write for free help.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

.

"Harry K" wrote in message

First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"?
I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I
ever need to know about you.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

See my reply to LApert. *Appears you also can't read.

Harry K

You can say that again. I am used to seeing one or two idiots show up
but this is a record catch we have going.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 1, 10:58*pm, "KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

BTW my system is less than 10 years old and yes it is a high
efficiency model. *Change out from a system that was probably built
back in the 40s.

Energy to run a motor is heat, no matter what you want to think.

Keep repeating that why don't you? Meanwhile maybe you can point to
where I said running a fan _doesn't_ add heat.

You are too lazy to try the experiment - no skin of my ass but why do
you enjoy making a fool of yourself in public?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Jul 2, 4:06*am, "B-Hate-Me" B-Hate-Me@home wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

Well goody for you. *Did you somehow miss that *my* house is also
comfortable? *It works for me and I prefer the comfort given with the
fan to listening to the AC give the same comfort at additional cost.

Harry K

Harry, let me ask you a technical question.....

How much dick do you suck in an average day?

a) 1-3

b) 3-5

c) I need to have cum gutters installed on my chin.

An another person who is hung up on gay sex. Does it bother you to be
that way?

plonk

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"?
I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I
ever need to know about you.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

See my reply to LApert. Appears you also can't read.

Harry K

You can say that again. I am used to seeing one or two idiots show up
but this is a record catch we have going.

Harry K
-------------

With guys named Chris and Harry leading the pack...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

BTW my system is less than 10 years old and yes it is a high
efficiency model. Change out from a system that was probably built
back in the 40s.

Energy to run a motor is heat, no matter what you want to think.

Keep repeating that why don't you? Meanwhile maybe you can point to
where I said running a fan _doesn't_ add heat.

You are too lazy to try the experiment - no skin of my ass but why do
you enjoy making a fool of yourself in public?

------------------

Leaving that up to you, Dumbass!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

Well goody for you. Did you somehow miss that *my* house is also
comfortable? It works for me and I prefer the comfort given with the
fan to listening to the AC give the same comfort at additional cost.

Harry K

Harry, let me ask you a technical question.....

How much dick do you suck in an average day?

a) 1-3

b) 3-5

c) I need to have cum gutters installed on my chin.

An another person who is hung up on gay sex. Does it bother you to be
that way?

plonk

----------------

Why not plonk the whole group and ****ing leave?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Harry K" wrote in message

First you ask "Who"? and second you said it was "You"?
I thihk that, and your previous post has shown me all the competence I
ever need to know about you.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

See my reply to LApert. Appears you also can't read.

Harry K

You can say that again. *I am used to seeing one or two idiots show up
but this is a record catch we have going.

Harry K

With guys named Chris and Harry leading the pack...- Hide quoted text -

plonk an idiot

Harry K