Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
TS02_05champ TS02_05champ is offline

Default Trane fan "On" for outside air?

On Jun 30, 10:46*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 30, 7:33*pm, Bubba wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:56*pm, MNRebecca wrote:
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? *In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the
start of the AC. *Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. *In my
case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it
"on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't
too hot outside.

Harry K

You are absolutely nuttier than a fruit cake Harry if you think that
is true.
Bubba

Harry is right. *Turning the fan "ON" will circulate the cooler air
that sinks to the lowest level of the house and cool the upper levels
while heating up the lower levels. *So, it depends on where the
thermostat is located. *In my 4-level split, the thermostat is on the
third level up, and running the fan "ON" cools it down about 2 degrees
while heating up the lower levels, and does delay turning the
compressor on by an hour or two.