Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default Trane fan "On" for outside air?

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jun 30, 5:33 pm, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:56 pm, MNRebecca wrote:
Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the
start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my
case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it
"on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't
too hot outside.

Harry K

You are absolutely nuttier than a fruit cake Harry if you think that
is true.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect
Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one
comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it
is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for
the machine to cool.

I have also considered making a basement floor level return air
registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is
going to waste.

BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a
person 'nuts'

sigh another google poster.... try that down here in the deep south. First
off we don't have basements, second if you want to run your power bill up,
go ahead on, 3rd, it will also raise the humidity level in your home and
make it even more uncomfortable. Here is a little physics question for
you... If you have a 10 x 12 room with 8ft ceiling, and its 80 degrees with
70% RH, how many btus of latent heat do you have.... now run the same calc
at 75 degrees @ 50% RH.....How much electricity are you going to use to keep
that room cool?? now tell me you just want to run the fan. Its a whole lot
more cost effective to *MAINTAIN* a constant even temperature, than it is to
have wild temperature swings.