Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Trane fan "On" for outside air?

On Jun 30, 8:36*pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Jun 29, 8:56 pm, MNRebecca wrote:

Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and
air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so
that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just
circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running
the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp.
outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the
start of the AC. *Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. *In my
case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it
"on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't
too hot outside.

Do a little homework sport, running the fan in summer in "ON" will actaully
raise the humidity level in your home, and make you more uncomfortable.

Says another person who "I know what I know and don't confuse me with
facts!" You might be right about the south (I been there too damn
many years to ever want to go back), but I am not in the south. It
works up here.

The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are
running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than
running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Harry K