Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electric logsplitter & generator

I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been
running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights
don't even flicker on starting surge. I plan on going to my cabin and would
like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it operate off
of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120 volts ... 12
amps / 1500 watts continuous. If not, how big of a generator is needed.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wolf" wrote in message
I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been
running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights
don't even flicker on starting surge. I plan on going to my cabin and
would like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it
operate off of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120
volts ... 12 amps / 1500 watts continuous. If not, how big of a generator
is needed.?

You'll need a minimum of 1857 watts, lol, It'll probably work because it's
not starting under a load. Try it, the worst that can happen would be
tripping the circuit breaker on the generator

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be wise to put an ammeter on the splitter, and see what the actual
current draw is.

How much wood you figure to split? Most consumer model generators are
designed for 100 to 200 hours of use, and then you throw it out and buy
another. Cause most HO run it once a year, or two times. For ten years or
so.

The 1850 should work fine. For a while. Is it a gas oil mixer, or does it
have a crancase? Air cooled engines run HOT, so please use only the finest
oil you can find. Castrol 10w30 if it's got a crankcase. Drain and change
every 25 hours of runtime.

Not sure what the price of the 1850 you have in mind. You can get a Coleman
or equivilant about 5,000 watts for about $500, with the five gal fuel tank.
Longer run, less schlepping gascans around. Again, good brand of oil, and
change oil every 25 hours of runtime.

Most Coleman are noisy. Plan on earmuffs. Honda are much quieter, though
expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wolf" wrote in message
I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been
running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights
don't even flicker on starting surge. I plan on going to my cabin and would
like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it operate off
of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120 volts ... 12
amps / 1500 watts continuous. If not, how big of a generator is needed.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The motor code is IP54 ... starting surge is ???

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
What's the motor code? It will determine the surge watts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe ... I do have a larger generator (5000 watts) but I really don't want to
haul it back and forth. Cabin is remote and on top of a ridge. The small
Coleman 1850 is already there and is used for small power tools. I smaller
Coleman 800 is used to recharge battery packs (rescued from the trash). If
I was splitting more wood, the larger generator would be hauled back there
and will eventually. At this time, if it works, the Coleman 1850 would be
used for a few tree that were blown over near the cabin. Lighting is via oil
lamps or propane ... solar will be used later on a small scale.

Why not get a somewhat larger generator? Many machines operated at
near capacity for some time will not have long service life. Besides,
what if you decide to do some night time splitting and need lights out
there? (I know, I know, that's far fetched, but who can predict human
behavior?).

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 3:15*pm, "Wolf" wrote:
I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been
running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights
don't even flicker on starting surge. *I plan on going to my cabin and would
like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it operate off
of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120 volts ... 12
amps / 1500 watts continuous. *If not, how big of a generator is needed.?

I dought it will start it you have maybe 2.5 times surge power needed
to start it, my friends coleman would not do a power washer it will
also strain it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not Joe, but you sound like you are wise, thoughtful, and scintillating.
Sounds like a perfect answer to all your needs. Have at it, and don't drink
alcohol or use strong medicine while operating equipment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

See this URL: http://www.gillettegenerators.com/sizing/sizing03.html

The code is a single letter, also called the KVA code.

IP54 is something else as seen he
http://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Prod...plus_IP54.html

Tom

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:21:23 -0500, "Wolf" wrote:

The motor code is IP54 ... starting surge is ???

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
.. .
What's the motor code? It will determine the surge watts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the links ... unfortunately there are no other numbers on the
motor, nor is there any specified in the user manual. I was able to borrow
a meter and it appears that the surge amperage is 45. Last for about 1
second and the drops to about 10. I'm surprised the 15 amp breaker wasn't
tripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Wolf wrote:
Thanks for the links ... unfortunately there are no other numbers on the
motor, nor is there any specified in the user manual. I was able to borrow
a meter and it appears that the surge amperage is 45. Last for about 1
second and the drops to about 10. I'm surprised the 15 amp breaker wasn't
tripped.

Breakers aren't "fast-acting" for that reason.

Why not simply take it and try it on the generator? Either it will or
it won't have the guts to power it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oiling the motor might reduce the surge amps. But, as the other poster said,
try it on the generator. The generator has a surge capacity for just this
kind of thing.

Hint: Start the motor while the ram is not under load. Open the jaws an inch
or two of air space longer than the wood.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wolf" wrote in message
Thanks for the links ... unfortunately there are no other numbers on the
motor, nor is there any specified in the user manual. I was able to borrow
a meter and it appears that the surge amperage is 45. Last for about 1
second and the drops to about 10. I'm surprised the 15 amp breaker wasn't
tripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Results : Used an ammeter ... load is 45amps for 1 to 1.5 seconds, runs
fine on the grid on a 120V 15 amp circuit. I did haul the splitter and 5000
watt generator to the woods. The PowerMate 1850
would not get the motor spinning. The 5000 Watt generator, using 120V 20A
outlet did the trick. Several 18 0 20 inch dia trees were split w/o a
problem. I will be looking for a Honda generator in the future. Thanks
again to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the field report. I found out years ago, that my 10K btu
window ac will run on my coleman 2250 watt generator. Also useful to know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus