Andrew H. Wakefield

Default Followup questions: Hydraulics for logsplitter

Once again, many thanks for the very helpful information you have given me
on hydraulics in general, and applying them to a log splitter in particular.
I now feel confident that I could go and buy the parts from Northern Tool to
make a splitter, but as more than one person mentioned, that would raise the
cost up to a significant fraction of the price of a new machine. My
intention from the beginning has been to try to scavenge or scrounge as many
parts as possible. So, a couple of followup questions:

1) I definitely see the advantages of the two-stage pumps, and if I have to
buy a new one, I probably would go that direction. However, if I scrounge up
a pump, it may not be a two stage job. I notice that, at least on NT's
website, the non-two-stage pumps tend to be rated in cubic inches rather
than gallon-per-minute. If I'm doing the math right, it looks like the cu.
in. is the output per revolution, so that if one calculates RPM x cu. in.,
and divides by cu. in / gallon, one winds up with GPM. Yes? Or have I missed
it?

2) Any specific suggestions about where to look for suitable hydraulic parts
that might be available for scrounge prices? I've checked one nearby salvage
yard, but the only cylinders they had were off of forklifts -- they were
about 5' long and had a 5' stroke, which I somehow think would be overkill
for my logsplitter! Alternately, would one of the "wholesale hydraulics" web
sites actually be that much cheaper than NT for equivalent parts? What about
an agriculture supply outfit -- would they have what I need at a cheaper
price?

3) If I find scrounge-quality parts, what are the chances of needing to
rebuild them, and what is involved in doing so? What can't be economically
rebuilt?

4) This one may be a wild goose -- one of the links that I found via the
replies I got from you all talked about a log splitter built quite some time
back; it referred to the "original design" that used an old power steering
pump as the hydraulic pump. It sounds like that worked, but produced
relatively low pressure ( 1000 psi). Any thoughts about this wild goose?

Once again, I look forward to your patient wisdom -- TIA!

Andy

Ted Edwards

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:
1) I definitely see the advantages of the two-stage pumps, and if I have to
buy a new one, I probably would go that direction. However, if I scrounge up
a pump, it may not be a two stage job.

If you have to go with a single stage pump, the following might prove
helpful:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...s/2SPD_HYD.TXT

Ted
RoyJ

1) Two speed pump is the only way to go on a splitter. You have a
relatively small motor, a low duty cycle, and a no power needed return
stroke.

2&3 ) You can check with a hydraulic cylinder repair place. they may
have some rebuilt cylinders, they can tell you how much it costs to
rebulild. Parts are cheap on these, as long as the rod doesn't have big
gouges, you are ok. Other than that, just keep looking. But don't expect
to get one for almost free. I've noticed that about the best I can do is
about half price or a bit more figured against getting a decent deal at
NT or a farm supply place.

4) Power steering pumps were commonly used for the early splitters. Most
folk find that they just don't have the hp range you need and look for
an upgrade. IIRC HP=1704*gpm*psi (better check that one!!)

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:
[...]

JR North

You're gonna have to pony up for the 2 stage pump. Also, for ease of
operation, you need the 'logspitter' valve. You'll spend more on
fittings and hose to russian-rig a different valve setup.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
OldNick

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:46:19 GMT, Ted Edwards
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you have to go with a single stage pump, the following might prove
helpful:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...s/2SPD_HYD.TXT

Huh! Bootstraps! G Clever! Thanks for that.