Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electric logsplitter & generator

It would be wise to put an ammeter on the splitter, and see what the actual
current draw is.

How much wood you figure to split? Most consumer model generators are
designed for 100 to 200 hours of use, and then you throw it out and buy
another. Cause most HO run it once a year, or two times. For ten years or
so.

The 1850 should work fine. For a while. Is it a gas oil mixer, or does it
have a crancase? Air cooled engines run HOT, so please use only the finest
oil you can find. Castrol 10w30 if it's got a crankcase. Drain and change
every 25 hours of runtime.

Not sure what the price of the 1850 you have in mind. You can get a Coleman
or equivilant about 5,000 watts for about $500, with the five gal fuel tank.
Longer run, less schlepping gascans around. Again, good brand of oil, and
change oil every 25 hours of runtime.

Most Coleman are noisy. Plan on earmuffs. Honda are much quieter, though
expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wolf" wrote in message
I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been
running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights
don't even flicker on starting surge. I plan on going to my cabin and would
like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it operate off
of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120 volts ... 12
amps / 1500 watts continuous. If not, how big of a generator is needed.?