Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New (use for a) product

I noticed the rubber sleeve insulating the Freon line was hard, cracked, and
just generally decrepit. It was also cool to the touch.

So I decided to replace it.

Went to HD and found a six-foot model for just that purpose. About $7.00.
Okay, I bought it.

Continuing on in my shopping journeys, I went to Walmart to pick up the
latest Chinese product and they were promoting some kind of fun stick for
kids ("Ages 2 and up"). It was a six-foot, 3" diameter polypropylene foam
tube that the kids could use to whack each other in the pool. It had a 3/4"
hole down its middle. Hmm.

Bought one. $1.50.

Put it on the table saw to cut a slit from one side to the center hole.

Wrapped this slit stick around the Freon line (fit perfectly) and, with the
help of a few lock-ties and some super duct-tape, replaced the skanky,
worn-out crap that was there.

Took the original rubber thingy back to HD.

Time will tell about durability, etc., but right now it seems to be working
perfectly. The downside is that my home is starting to resemble a
clown-house because these tubes don't come is colors that could be called
"subtle."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Can of $1.29 Wally-brand spray paint close to your housie color?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:19:09 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[...]

They're "pool noodles". Change the color with duct tape :-//

Good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Dave wrote:
Ha! Poor people pay twice. 12 months out of that if you are lucky and
you will be back to buy armourflex tube to do the job properly.

Bah! The Freon pipe HAD a commercial, made-for-it, product originally.
House was built in the '60's and the hose was already falling apart.

Polypropylene, irrespective of its origin, is forever.

Besides, I'm sure it has lead in it.

I would just wonder if the polypropylene has the equivalent or better R-
factor of what is used by HVAC folks.

I'm sure it's better than what was there if it's not cool to touch now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yep, I've cut them up and used them as backer rod before....much
cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also seen those tube things. They are not likely to be UV resistant.
They will dry and crumble in a few years. But at that price, buy another
one.

Know what you mean about the colors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:49:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Ha! Poor people pay twice. 12 months out of that if you are lucky and
you will be back to buy armourflex tube to do the job properly.

Bah! The Freon pipe HAD a commercial, made-for-it, product originally. House
was built in the '60's and the hose was already falling apart.

Polypropylene, irrespective of its origin, is forever.

Pinch them both and I guess the noodle is much denser.

Besides, I'm sure it has lead in it.

Please, don't say it's "hot pink"..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:37:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've also seen those tube things. They are not likely to be UV resistant.
They will dry and crumble in a few years. But at that price, buy another
one.

Actually, they have outlasted some elders at the shady pines
retirement village. The 75-80 aged class of swimming flamingos at
frequent water ballet classes. New members bring there own noodles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Pinch them both and I guess the noodle is much denser.

Besides, I'm sure it has lead in it.

Please, don't say it's "hot pink"..

Ah, no. The ones I got are sort of light orange colored. Those who are light
on their feet - and know the names of more than six colors - would call it
"salmon" (and probably buy the pink ones).

new product qtheland Woodworking 0 February 24th 08 02:12 PM
what product to use? RB Electronics Repair 6 February 21st 06 09:59 AM
US name for a UK product Den Home Repair 7 August 18th 04 10:39 PM