Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default New (use for a) product

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:19:09 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I noticed the rubber sleeve insulating the Freon line was hard, cracked, and
just generally decrepit. It was also cool to the touch.

So I decided to replace it.

Went to HD and found a six-foot model for just that purpose. About $7.00.
Okay, I bought it.

Continuing on in my shopping journeys, I went to Walmart to pick up the
latest Chinese product and they were promoting some kind of fun stick for
kids ("Ages 2 and up"). It was a six-foot, 3" diameter polypropylene foam
tube that the kids could use to whack each other in the pool. It had a 3/4"
hole down its middle. Hmm.

Bought one. $1.50.

Put it on the table saw to cut a slit from one side to the center hole.

Wrapped this slit stick around the Freon line (fit perfectly) and, with the
help of a few lock-ties and some super duct-tape, replaced the skanky,
worn-out crap that was there.

Took the original rubber thingy back to HD.

Time will tell about durability, etc., but right now it seems to be working
perfectly. The downside is that my home is starting to resemble a
clown-house because these tubes don't come is colors that could be called
"subtle."

They're "pool noodles". Change the color with duct tape :-//

Good idea.