Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan/Light Pops When Powered Off

Riddle me this...

I have a fan/light combo unit controlled by a standard toggle wall
switch. The unit is well over 20 years old.

4 position pull chain for fan - high, medium, low, off
4 position pull chain for 4 bulb fixture - 2 on - 2 off, swap the offs
for ons, all 4 on, off.

Here's the problem:

If all four lights are off, the unit makes a single POP when I throw
the wall switch to the off position. The sound comes from the unit,
not the switch.

If any of of the lights are on, I do not hear the POP when I throw the
switch.

The position of the fan chain does not appear to matter. Regardless of
what speed the fan is running at (including off) the POP only occurs
when all four lights are off.

Since there is no current flowing in the light portion of the unit
with the light chain in the off postion, why would it pop when power
is cut off?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Since there is no current flowing in the light portion of the unit
with the light chain in the off postion, why would it pop when power
is cut off?

It's not the lights portion that is "popping" apparently.

Take it down/apart and look for where the arcing has left marks--they'll
be there somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:56:27 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Remove the fixture and check for loose wires, arcing, dust. Blow out
motor with compressor. It's amazing how much dust and grime accumulate
over time. Keeping the motor dust free will let it run cooler.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Are the lights on a dimmer or timer or remote control built into the fan
unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It does sound like something is not right in the motor or motor switch
area, probably conductive tracking from 20 years of grime or vaporized
switch contacts accumulating where it can cause trouble.

I'd recon that there may be a little current flowing through the motor
windings even when the motor switch is OFF, and when the wall switch
opens and breaks that current the inductive kick from the stored energy
in the motor windings makes something arc enough to cause the noise the
OP's hearing.

If two or more light bulbs are switched ON they will provide a damping
load across the motor inductance and the "kick" won't reach a high
enough voltage to make the arc occur.

Sounds like it's time for a teardown and inspection. The proximate fault
may just be in the motor speed control switch itself, and not in the motor.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:46:52 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

sounds like some info is bad though. turning off a circuit only causes a
pop when the circuit was NOT passing current. Stopping soething that is
not going should not do anything. I think he needs more investiation.

CL

Battery-powered LED motion-sensing night light - any in UK? dskeeles UK diy 10 November 17th 06 11:19 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Solar powered post light tony weikert Home Repair 4 December 4th 05 04:12 AM
Solar powered garden light thingies? Sheila UK diy 12 January 4th 05 07:36 PM
Ceiling & Wall Pops and Cracks Dunzley Home Repair 8 July 31st 04 01:41 AM