Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I inflate a tubeless wheelbarrow tire that fails to seal

I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Irving Drinkwine" wrote in message
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat
at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of
shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

Had the same problem with a garden trailer tire. I took the wheel &
tire to a local discount tire store and they fixed the problem for
nothing.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Irving Drinkwine" wrote in message
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

You can try putting a rope around the rim and tire and pulling it tight to
force the tire into contact with the rim.

You can also take the wheel to a tire store and have a tube added. I think
I paid $8 for tube and labor. Haven't had a flat for years now.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:42:41 -0400, Irving Drinkwine
wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. *The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. *Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air. *
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. *Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

I have the same deflation problem, but how exactly does the rope get
tied? Does it wrap around the circumference of the tire (i.e. the
tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim
and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 05:46:14 -0700 (PDT), Jim Conway
wrote Re How do I inflate a tubeless

wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. *The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. *Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air. *
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. *Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

I have the same deflation problem, but how exactly does the rope get
tied? Does it wrap around the circumference of the tire (i.e. the
tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim
and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!

Yes, wrap it around the circumference of the tire. Even better than a
rope is one of those ratchet tie-down belts that they sell in
automotive departments. The kind that are used to secure a load in a
truck bed or whatever. Wrap it around the circumference of the tire,
pull it tight and then use the ratchet to tighten it enough to get the
tire against the rim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. �The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. �Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air. �
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. �Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

I have the same deflation problem, but how exactly does the rope get
tied? Does it wrap around the circumference of the tire (i.e. the
tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim
and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!

around the tread area, then put something like a tire iron in the
rope, twist, reducing diameter of tire add air fast, no slow fill will
work.

if the tire went flat once it WILL again, add tube at real tire store,
for long term hassle free fix
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:52:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Jim Conway" wrote in message
Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

tire (i.e. the

tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim
and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!

Lay the tire flat on the ground and wrap the rope around it the same as the
tread. YOu do not put the rope so thatit crosses the rim, but goes around
it the same as the tire. Put the rope in the middle and start tightning it
up. The tire will expand the sidewalls and touch the rim. Then you put the
air to it.

In all likelyhood, you'll need an air compressor to move a lot of air
real fast into that tire. A hand pump isnt going to hack it.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jim Conway" wrote in message
Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

tire (i.e. the
tread if the tire were vertical) or does it get wrapped around the rim
and tire together (horizontal if the tire were vertical). Thanks!!!

Lay the tire flat on the ground and wrap the rope around it the same as
the
tread. YOu do not put the rope so thatit crosses the rim, but goes around
it the same as the tire. Put the rope in the middle and start tightning it
up. The tire will expand the sidewalls and touch the rim. Then you put
the
air to it.

In all likelyhood, you'll need an air compressor to move a lot of air
real fast into that tire. A hand pump isnt going to hack it.

-dickm

I use "Slime" in all our small equipment tires. It's easy to install and
when done right, ends all your inflation/deflation problems for good.

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

for long term hassle free fix- Hide quoted text -

Spray some flamable liquid from a spray can ( wd40 or such) inside the
tire, hit it with a match, the expanding air will seal the tire,
just be sure not to catch the thing on fire. ( ed's note - ive never
done this, just heard about it being done)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Irving Drinkwine writes:

I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Others have given advise about repair.
In my case, I couldn't get any of those methods to work.

I called the manufacturer for instructions.
They took my address and sent me a free replacement.
Turns out the tire has a lifetime warranty.
Bought the wheelbarrow at HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 04:42:41 -0400, Irving Drinkwine wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb? Put a
tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

I find that when a small tire goes flat repeatedly it is better to remove
the wheel and remove one side of the tire in order to pack the tire with
rags, old foam padding from carpeting or anything that keeps the tire from
going so flat that it comes off the rim and looses it's seal. Then in the
future you can re-inflate the tire when you need it again. I have done
this on lawn tractors, yard trailers that I pull with the lawn tractors, a
four wheel wagon with pneumatic tires, and a wheel barrow. I don't use
them all that often and sometimes when I do the tire is lacking air but is
still drivable to the compressor and the bead seal is not compromised to
add air.

I live in an area where we have sand spurs that are able to put extremely
small holes in tubeless tires. I have cleaned the fix-a-flat remains out
of tires and know this doesn't hold air for long.

By the way, I have made a hold down tool using all thread rod to hold a
small tire tight to the top of my table saw to remove one side of the bead
of the tire while I stuff it with rags. So far the rags have held up
better on the lawn tractors but the foam carpet padding has worked ok on
the wheel barrow because I store it up on it's nose with the handles
against the wall so it never has any weight to collapse the tire when flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 5:54*am, Caesar Romano wrote:

Yes, wrap it around the circumference of the tire. Even better than a
rope is one of those ratchet tie-down belts that they sell in
automotive departments. The kind that are used to secure a load in a
truck bed or whatever. Wrap it around the circumference of the tire,
pull it tight and then use the ratchet to tighten it enough to get the
tire against the rim.

Ditto that suggestion. I do that at least once a year with my
wheelbarrow tire. Wrap the tiedown, rachet it down, fire up the
compressor, and I'm good until the next time. If it's being real
stubborn, I'll smear some petroleum jelly around the bead on both
sides, helps it seal a little better.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RLM" wrote in message
[...]

That is a good Idea.
Don't try this on a car or motorcycle tire though.............LOL
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 1:42*am, Irving Drinkwine wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. *The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. *Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air. *
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Thanks
ID

The air is probably leaking past the rim, tire stores will smear a
vaseline like substance along the bead to seal it up, I did the same
at home and it worked. You can also replace the pneumatic tire with a
solid one.-Jitney
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

Tie a rope around the tire and tighten with a tourniquet. Quickly
fill the tire with air and it will self-seal.

The last time I had this problem I put my weight on the tire by pushing my
forearm across the tire tread while adding air with the other hand. It
resealed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Irving Drinkwine wrote:
I have a wheelbarrow that has a tubeless tire. The tire went flat at
some point and sat that way for a while. Now the tire is out of shape
and I cannot get it to hold air.
Any suggestions on how to fix this short of buying a new tire/wb?
Put a tube in it show how perhaps?

As everybody has said, you surround the tire with a band, much like Scarlett
O'Hara's corset, and get Mammy to tighten it until everything pops into
place.

My solution was to get a tube from Harbor Freight (about $2.00) and the
problem disappeared forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"JC" wrote

I use "Slime" in all our small equipment tires. It's easy to install and
when done right, ends all your inflation/deflation problems for good.

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

What works better than that is a solid rubber tire.

Yeah, well you try pulling them through a muddy rice field and let me know
how much better you think that works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
The last time I had this problem I put my weight on the tire by
pushing my forearm across the tire tread while adding air with the
other hand. It resealed.

I take it you are not a Little Person :-)

Not since the fourth grade. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Tubeless tire repair Dan Home Repair 16 October 5th 06 01:54 PM
Wheelbarrow tire goes flat Dan_Musicant Home Repair 18 July 16th 05 06:00 AM
Wheelbarrow Tire Pressure SQLit Home Repair 14 June 10th 05 07:32 AM
How to get wheelbarrow tire back on rim m Ransley Home Repair 12 April 28th 05 04:21 AM
Repairing a tubeless handcart tire Daniel Prince Home Repair 8 October 29th 04 11:33 PM