Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub refinishing

I have a customer who wants his tub "touched up" after I removed a sliding
shower door. The top edge of the tub where the shower door was shows some
cracking, and pieces 1/16" inch chipped off.

Is there a decent way to repair these? At Home Depot I saw some spray on
epoxy repair, some brush on repair but don't know which might be best. As
just a guess, I'd sand down the area, remove any chips, fill with some
sort of epoxy filler, sand again, prime and then spray on the epoxy. It
might be close enough in color that I'd only have to do the repaired area
and not have to do the rest of the tub.

Does this sound doable? If so, what to use as the expoxy filler? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,

charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 12:54*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
I have a customer who wants his tub "touched up" after I removed a sliding
shower door. The top edge of the tub where the shower door was shows some
cracking, and pieces 1/16" inch chipped off.

Is there a decent way to repair these? At Home Depot I saw some spray on
epoxy repair, some brush on repair but don't know which might be best. As
just a guess, I'd sand down the area, remove any chips, fill with some
sort of epoxy filler, sand again, prime and then spray on the epoxy. It
might be close enough in color that I'd only have to do the repaired area
and not have to do the rest of the tub.

Does this sound doable? If so, what to use as the expoxy filler? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,

charles

I have used the brush on with good results. Frankly I think I
would have better luck with the bush unless I had a lot of experience
with the spray stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a customer who wants his tub "touched up" after I removed a sliding
shower door. The top edge of the tub where the shower door was shows some
cracking, and pieces 1/16" inch chipped off.

Is there a decent way to repair these? At Home Depot I saw some spray on
epoxy repair, some brush on repair but don't know which might be best. As
just a guess, I'd sand down the area, remove any chips, fill with some
sort of epoxy filler, sand again, prime and then spray on the epoxy. It
might be close enough in color that I'd only have to do the repaired area
and not have to do the rest of the tub.

Does this sound doable? If so, what to use as the expoxy filler? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,

charles

I had my whole tub refinished in a house I'm selling. When I was looking
for a company, I noticed that a number of them advertised that they did
repair work. Since they have the expertise and the equipment, maybe just
suggest the person hire one of those companies. Most of the sites have
before & after pix of crack repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 26, 12:54=A0pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

Did it look smooth when you were done? Can you sand it and put on another
coat? What can be done about chips 1/16" depth, about the size of a
quarter or nickle?

I've seen guys spray something like this on tubs with good looking results
but not sure how long it lasts. Think they used one of those HVLP guns and
compressor. He also used the same product (different color) to do a kitchen
counter top. Think you might have to do the whole tub though.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Refinishing vs Refurbishing Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman Woodworking 5 November 17th 07 01:27 AM
refinishing Gizo Woodworking 1 July 6th 07 07:12 AM
Refinishing Cabinets Bob Woodworking 2 July 29th 06 04:32 PM
Hot Tub Refinishing evelyn davis Home Repair 0 May 12th 06 03:56 AM
refinishing John Woodworking 5 March 2nd 05 05:54 PM