John

Default refinishing

I just completed refinishing an pine aquarium stand with that Minwax
stain/urethane product. The cleanup said to use mineral spirits.
I'm not satisfied with the gloss finish so I found a spray can of Varethane
for outdoor wood furniture in my cupboard, water base.
Do you think after the Minwax fully dries, I can spray on the Varethane for
a little extra gloss?
thanks

Mike Marlow

"John" wrote in message
I just completed refinishing an pine aquarium stand with that Minwax
stain/urethane product. The cleanup said to use mineral spirits.
I'm not satisfied with the gloss finish so I found a spray can of

Varethane
for outdoor wood furniture in my cupboard, water base.
Do you think after the Minwax fully dries, I can spray on the Varethane

for
a little extra gloss?
thanks

Read both cans, but most likely yes, it will be ok after the original finish
completely dries. Give it a few days to thoroughly dry and for the solvents
to outgas. Scruff the surface with either steel wool or 1000 grit wet
sandpaper, or a 3M pad to provide good adhesion. I'm not familiar with
Varethane - is it a polyurethane or a urethane? In any event, if you let it
dry very well, you should be home free.
--

-Mike-

Phisherman

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:33:09 -0800, "John" wrote:

I just completed refinishing an pine aquarium stand with that Minwax
stain/urethane product. The cleanup said to use mineral spirits.
I'm not satisfied with the gloss finish so I found a spray can of Varethane
for outdoor wood furniture in my cupboard, water base.
Do you think after the Minwax fully dries, I can spray on the Varethane for
a little extra gloss?
thanks

Make a test piece. Apply Minwax stain/urethane on some scrap. Allow
it to dry for a few days, then spray on the Varethane. My guess is
they are compatible.
toller

What does the varethane say?

I had some outdoor varnish I wanted to use on a piece of goncalos alves to
prevent it from darkening from UV. The can said it could not be used
indoors.

I contacted the manufacturer. They said it would not perform properly
indoors; but didn't explain why.

Your product may not have that problem, but it might.

John

thanks everyone, I will checked the label again. I gave it a quick once over
and it said nothing about not spraying over the Minwax. I called them and
they just recite the label. I sprayed the inside of one of the doors and no
problems yet.
thanks again

"toller" wrote in message
What does the varethane say?

I had some outdoor varnish I wanted to use on a piece of goncalos alves to
prevent it from darkening from UV. The can said it could not be used
indoors.

I contacted the manufacturer. They said it would not perform properly
indoors; but didn't explain why.

Your product may not have that problem, but it might.

nospambob

is the name Flecto gave to their polyurethane.