Posted to alt.home.repair

Default USAA (home,car,etc) insurance. In '60, wonderful. Now?

Way back in the 60's, while I was in the army, I signed
up for USAA.

Back then, it had a *very* good reputation.

Recently, I heard a disturbing story or two, about how
when claims were made, they paid out *far* less than
expected.

Roughly what experience can one expect, *these days*?

---------------------------

We live in New York state -- but also have a (very) small
condo down in Florida (Sarasota).

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just about all my insurance policies are with USAA. Haven't had a
claim in years, but can say they cash my checks to them promptly!

They were good with chipped windshield crack repair claims!

paul

David Combs wrote:
Way back in the 60's, while I was in the army, I signed
up for USAA.

Back then, it had a *very* good reputation.

Recently, I heard a disturbing story or two, about how
when claims were made, they paid out *far* less than
expected.

Roughly what experience can one expect, *these days*?

---------------------------

We live in New York state -- but also have a (very) small
condo down in Florida (Sarasota).

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
Way back in the 60's, while I was in the army, I signed
up for USAA.

Back then, it had a *very* good reputation.

Recently, I heard a disturbing story or two, about how
when claims were made, they paid out *far* less than
expected.

Roughly what experience can one expect, *these days*?

---------------------------

We live in New York state -- but also have a (very) small
condo down in Florida (Sarasota).

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Thanks!

David

Ii've been with USAA for almost 50 years, and have always had great success.
On one occasion they paid off a $100K HHG claim when a warehouse burned down
during a PCS move -- I had upgraded the coverage from $50K to $100K two days
before the moving company picked up my stuff. I also get a semi-annual
rebate check from them -- the last one was for several hundred dollars.
They also have recently received a repeat reward for outstanding customer
service -- #1 among all companies in the U.S.

However, they probably won't cover your condo -- because of problems with
the Florida government's effort to control insurance prices, USAA has
stopped writing home coverage in Florida except for active duty military on
orders to this state. They have also cancelled all coverage on second homes
in Florida, driving a lot of people to the state-owned insurance company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
JimR wrote:

Ii've been with USAA for almost 50 years, and have always had great success.
On one occasion they paid off a $100K HHG claim when a warehouse burned down
during a PCS move -- I had upgraded the coverage from $50K to $100K two days
before the moving company picked up my stuff. I also get a semi-annual
rebate check from them -- the last one was for several hundred dollars.
They also have recently received a repeat reward for outstanding customer
service -- #1 among all companies in the U.S.

However, they probably won't cover your condo -- because of problems with
the Florida government's effort to control insurance prices, USAA has
stopped writing home coverage in Florida except for active duty military on
orders to this state. They have also cancelled all coverage on second homes
in Florida, driving a lot of people to the state-owned insurance company.

Hmmm. Well, re the florida condo (a 2nd home), they haven't
*cancelled* us yet.

Either we've fallen through the cracks, or their policy is
to not write *new* policies there, or maybe it's just for
new *customers*?

That is, maybe they're keeping the already-existing (Florida) policies?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Combs wrote:

Either we've fallen through the cracks, or their policy is
to not write *new* policies there, or maybe it's just for
new *customers*?

That is, maybe they're keeping the already-existing (Florida) policies?

Don't know about them specifically but I heard on the news just the
other day that owing to increased profitability in the insurance
industry overall that underwriters are returning to the FL and other
Gulf Coast markets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

* ---------------------------

We live in New York state -- but also have a (very) small
condo down in Florida (Sarasota).

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Thanks!

David

I had a car accident where the other driver was at fault and she had
USAA insurance. The accident resulted in both cars being totaled and
quite a bit of medical bills. USAA handled all my claims in a very
friendly & professional manner. We got what we asked for during
negotiations and I have no complaints against them as an insurance
company.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
In article ,
JimR wrote:

[snip]

However, they probably won't cover your condo -- because of problems with
the Florida government's effort to control insurance prices, USAA has
stopped writing home coverage in Florida except for active duty military
on
orders to this state. They have also cancelled all coverage on second
homes
in Florida, driving a lot of people to the state-owned insurance company.

Hmmm. Well, re the florida condo (a 2nd home), they haven't
*cancelled* us yet.

Either we've fallen through the cracks, or their policy is
to not write *new* policies there, or maybe it's just for
new *customers*?

That is, maybe they're keeping the already-existing (Florida) policies?

Thanks!

David

Maybe my words "all coverage" for second homes was an overstatement, but
that was my impression. Also, that they will only write new policies for
active duty military assigned to the state. Besides a letter from USAA a
few months ago that I can't find, my other data point is a casual contact
here in Central Florida's highlands that has been a USAA customer for many
years and had his second-home policy cancelled. (His first home is in
Broward County -- Ft. Lauderdale area). We're just about as far away from
salt water as it's possible to be in Florida.

Second-home policy didn't affect me -- my second home is either the office
or the riding lawnmower - - - no USAA insurance required --