Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof with three layers of shingles - dangerous?

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 8:31:27 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 8:14:06 AM UTC-4, uglyhouse101 wrote:
replying to Ben, uglyhouse101 wrote:
This should have been caught When you had your home inspection during your Due
Dilligence period. Home Inspectors look critically at roofs for such issues.
I would read through your home inspection report and contact them if you still
have any concerns. They can come out and explain what you are seeing.

I doubt any home inspector is going to come out 9 years after the inspection was done.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inspector (and his gerbils) have retired to Florida by now.

That's for sure. IDK if you could get them to come back out
after just a few months to explain what you are seeing.
I suppose if you raise a big stink, they might, but they
aren't in the business of hand holding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2017 1:48 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 1:30:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 04:47:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...us-314591-.htm

And they will also explain how even if they missed it, their contract says that you can't come after them.

Yes, aad I know of home inspectors that don't go up on the roof, so if
you didn't see it before you bought the house, neither did he. Too bad,
so sad.

For an intelligent homebuyer like most on this list, the majority of
home inspections are a TOTAL waste of money and time. Better to take a
few of your good buddies along to look at the house _ they are likely
to catch more than the inspectors will, and you'll be buying them a
few beers anyway.

I would disagree. In most cases you can recover the cost of the
home inspection and then some in reductions from the seller.
And it's a lot more likely a seller is going to knock off $1000
for things that an inspector finds than those that a buyer and
his buddies claim need addressing. It's worked for me.

That seems to be the main reason inspections are done and some lenders
require it too. When I was buying you did your own inspection and
maybe brought along dad or an uncle. Never used one so I don't now the
real value of their work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've done the "pre-inspection" for several people who then hired a
home inspector who missed every serious issue I pointed out, and
caught a few things like cracked switch plates and poorly attached
trim, and a missing crank on a casement window - missing the fact that
the "redone" wiring was a total disaster and the roof, although it
looked good from a distance, was about 5 years past it's "best before
date" with serious issues in the valleys. Not to mention one of the
carport posts was not carrying any weight because it was roted off
under the recent aluminum cladding, and the asphault driveway was
almost the consistency of gravel. ( that's just on the latest one) A
total waste of, IIRC, $450.

There is ONE home inspector in the area I would trust to do an
adequate home inspection - a former building contractor and developer
who's been raising a bit of a "**** storm" in the provincial property
inspection circles for several years. Real estate selling agents are
not happy when he's on the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My son had 2 home inspections done in Las Vegas. The most complete inspection
reports I have ever seen. Every issue was detailed in text in the synopsis
section, then the text for each issue was repeated next a photo or photos of
the issue with the issue circled in red or yellow depending on the severity.

Here's a couple of examples. 3 images of a single cracked roof tile:

http://i.imgur.com/iRwPLh7.jpg

Items that had no issues, like the laundry equipment, were included also.

http://i.imgur.com/Pg6WHm5.jpg

All for the very reasonable price of $250. The detailed description and
pictures of all the problems with just the pool at one house made the $250
seem like a really great deal. He walked away from that one based solely
on the inspection report.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2017 8:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My son had 2 home inspections done in Las Vegas. The most complete inspection
reports I have ever seen. Every issue was detailed in text in the synopsis
section, then the text for each issue was repeated next a photo or photos of
the issue with the issue circled in red or yellow depending on the severity.

Here's a couple of examples. 3 images of a single cracked roof tile:

http://i.imgur.com/iRwPLh7.jpg

Items that had no issues, like the laundry equipment, were included also.

http://i.imgur.com/Pg6WHm5.jpg

All for the very reasonable price of $250. The detailed description and
pictures of all the problems with just the pool at one house made the $250
seem like a really great deal. He walked away from that one based solely
on the inspection report.

Can I assume he walked for more than just one cracked tile?

If the house is a money pit, the inspection is good investment. Few
houses are pefect and a potential buyer can be put off of a reallly good
buy over something simple if they don't understand the report.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 9:14:21 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

He bought the house with the cracked tile. It was the one with the pool
(and a ton of other pretty major issues) that he walked away from. I agreed
with his choice. He wanted a house that he could spend money upgrading, not
just fixing. He got what he wanted and spent his money on tools (miter saw,
table saw, etc.) and now sends me pictures of the things he's making to make
an already sound house fun to live in. A day-bed for the patio, a dog-crate
end-table, a patio table from an old whisky barrel, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/Xqsaofb.jpg

And of course, he needs time for his boat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2017 10:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

a patio table from an old whisky barrel, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/Xqsaofb.jpg

And of course, he needs time for his boat.

I like that. Does it still have the whisky in it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 10:41:55 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/25/2017 10:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

a patio table from an old whisky barrel, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/Xqsaofb.jpg

And of course, he needs time for his boat.

I like that. Does it still have the whisky in it?

No, but he can't use it for storage or a cooler because of the charred
wood on the inside. He likes the look and is trying figure out what
kind of sealer will "clean it up" but leave the look.