Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting/staining concrete driveway help please

hi all,

we moved into a house w concrete driveway about 4 years ago. the
driveway was a bright shiny terracota paint or stain (not sure).
after about 4 years it started wearing, fading and some chipping so we
decided to make it nice again. went to benjamin moore and they sold me
"tuff top". i chose a nice dark brown color. this was a month ago.
the guy told me i didn't need a primer. just pressure clean the
driveway and paint over. i gave it 2 coats. looked great for 2 weeks.
now it's chipping off everywhere!

so i go back to benjamin moore, ask for the guy. i'm told he's gone
which is no surprise. new guy tells me to pressure clean off the tuff
top and use a concrete stain called "bond-crete".

anyway, before i go and spend a whole bunch of cash again, i thought
i'd go to home depot and get their opinion and then i thought of you
guys, can you help? any ideas? yes, i drive over this every day.
what's weird is that what was there before, whatever it was, lasted a
good 4 years. it looked like paint w a sealer over it. someone told
me to use "boat paint"? anyway, i just want something that will stick
for at least afew years. i'm in florida so it's hot, tires are hot but
there should be something i can use. ALSO, i rolled it on in one part
of the driveway and used the paint spraying device in the other part.
seems to be sticking better in the part i rolled on.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 9:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

Moore guarntees its product and you obviously got bad information.
Contact the company they have paid me in the past for improper
information. You likely had gloss oil and were likely sold Latex, it
should have been sanded, now the new product has to be removed. Saying
the employee is gone is no excuse, especialy at Moores prices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:35:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jun 14, 9:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

Still can not understand painting concrete unless you are building a
swimming pool. Outdoor paint usually means maintenance and can make
a walkway as slick as ice when wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 14, 9:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

a walkway as slick as ice when wet.- Hide quoted text -

It was already painted when i bought the house. so i thought it
needed a fresh coat after 4 years. i realize i have to paint or stain
every few years. but i want to be sure to do it right and in the way
it lasts the longest. any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It was already painted when i bought the house. so i thought it
needed a fresh coat after 4 years. i realize i have to paint or stain
every few years. but i want to be sure to do it right and in the way
it lasts the longest. any ideas?

Everything comes down to cost and whether you pay now or later.

What I would do is get a hold of a reputable cement contractor and
investigate the possibility of a 1-2 inch integrally pigmented
overlay. It's going to hurt but could be the answer for the long haul.

http://directcolors.com/ConcreteStain/index.html

Compare their pigment price/lb as opposed to the "retail" stores.
I've used such pigments many times, usually only for the top inches of
fresh concrete. It may be possible to resurface older concrete the
same way.

HTH

P.S. If you go this route, make sure you fully document the entire
operation with pictures and all. Whoever ends up buying your house
next will be reassured of the value.