Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Missing in America

Or, at least, very goddamn difficult to find in my neck of the woods
(midwest US).

Item A: A Viable Toaster

Everybody knows that toastables (bread, etc) comes in various thicknesses,
densities, etc. About the only way to toast a broad cross-section of
toastables was to set to lo heat, run a test cycle, observe the degree
of toasting, and re-toast until done.

Maybe 8 years ago I shopped for a toaster and found that the brilliant
genii designing toasters had buggered the lot of 'em so the circuitry
wouldn't re-toast without waiting for a period, relegating the old
strategy impractical.

So I re-conditioned an ancient Toastmaster and it's still in use. Expected
to roll over and die any picosecond.

Does anybody know if there are now viable and reasonably-priced
toasters with non-mutant circuitry on the US market? :-)

Item B: Inexpensive Men's Slippers

Thisun is a true US/Chinee anomaly. I tried washing slippers when they
got stinky and found it didn't work well. So, for years, I bought
inexpensive Chinee slippers for $3-6, and just pitched a pair when they
got stinky. Now, in an era when the US is swimming in Chinee everything,
I can't find an inexpensive/disposable pair of slippers to save my po' soul.

Item C: A Non-Junk Beard/Mustache Trimmer

Maybe 20 years ago I bought a Norelco rechargable trimmer made in Austria
(for *reasonable* $). Pretty solid, but it wasn't even designed for
battery replacement. I've dissembled, unsoldered, resoldered, etc
several times: it still works, but just barely. I've been on the look-out
for a viable replacement literally for 2+ years. All I see is junk and
garbage, likely to last a year or less.

Note that I'm not anti-Chinee. I don't really care who makes a viable product in
the context of this query. 'Tis not the forum to discuss the fact that the
US now produces nearly nothing save WMD's and Frankensteinian politicians. :-)

Any/all help/info/constructive suggestions much appreciated.

TIA,
Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:24:23 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Or, at least, very goddamn difficult to find in my neck of the woods
(midwest US).

Item A: A Viable Toaster

Everybody knows that toastables (bread, etc) comes in various thicknesses,
densities, etc. About the only way to toast a broad cross-section of
toastables was to set to lo heat, run a test cycle, observe the degree
of toasting, and re-toast until done.

Maybe 8 years ago I shopped for a toaster and found that the brilliant
genii designing toasters had buggered the lot of 'em so the circuitry
wouldn't re-toast without waiting for a period, relegating the old
strategy impractical.

So I re-conditioned an ancient Toastmaster and it's still in use. Expected
to roll over and die any picosecond.

Does anybody know if there are now viable and reasonably-priced
toasters with non-mutant circuitry on the US market? :-)

This one is not complicated.

http://www.antiqbuyer.com/images/KIt...ers/toast5.jpg