Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Thick Wallpaper Paste

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed tediously.
Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the texture. I
can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge sanding,
priming, etc.

Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for thin
residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed
tediously.
Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the texture. I
can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge sanding,
priming, etc.

Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for
thin
residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

On plaster you can scrub with a "greenie" or something harsher. On drywall
I would not use anything heavier that a "whitey". In both of those case I
am referring to the scouring pads that are used in kitchens. 3M is one
brand.

Warm water with a little vinegar will work as well as anything you can buy.
Change you rinse water VERY often.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed tediously.
Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the texture. I
can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge sanding,
priming, etc.

Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for thin
residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

When I remove wallpaper, I spray the wall to soften the paste. Then
scrape or scrub with rag
and warm water. I've never used anything more than water and household
cleaner. I doubt
the chemical removers are much better than plain water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed
tediously. Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the
texture. I can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge
sanding, priming, etc.
Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for
thin residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out
good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

When I remove wallpaper, I spray the wall to soften the paste. Then
scrape or scrub with rag
and warm water. I've never used anything more than water and household
cleaner. I doubt
the chemical removers are much better than plain water.

I agree, all paste is water soluable. All the removers are is typically a
bit of soap to help wet the surface and retard evaporation. Keep scrubbing
and it will eventially come off if it was applied over plaster or paint. If
it was directly onto drywall mud or paper then you might as well sand and
paint or skim it over with new mud.

Be careful applying mud over wallpaper. If it wants to come off it will due
to the moisture in the mud, you could end up with a big mess and self
stripping walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

Scrubbing with a greenie and warm water is in the plan. Got a ****load
(specific unit of measurement back in VT) of them. Thanks for the vinegar
tip Colbyt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed
tediously. Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in
the texture. I can probably make it not very noticable between feather
edge sanding, priming, etc.

Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for
thin residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked
out good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

When I remove wallpaper, I spray the wall to soften the paste. Then
scrape or scrub with rag
and warm water. I've never used anything more than water and
household cleaner. I doubt
the chemical removers are much better than plain water.

I've done a bit of wallpaper removal. Separate surface from the backing
then, as you, just warm water, soak and peel.

The first time I did it I bought some remover. Ran out in short time. Man
this is gonna get expensive. Figured I'd just try warm water and finish
the area I was working on then go get some more remover. Went just as
"easy" (ughhh!) as with the remover. Water only ever since.

Thanks for the reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pipedown" wrote in
:

"Norminn" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:

[...]

Fortunately it's not right over drywall. Over paint.

Be careful applying mud over wallpaper. If it wants to come off it
will due to the moisture in the mud, you could end up with a big mess
and self stripping walls.

All paper is off but I've been down the road you speak of. Someone
painted over wallpaper and it was a mess. Tried mudding over to smooth
and learned about the bigger mess you speak of. Then learned about
priming with oil base primer first.

Thanks for the reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Be careful applying mud over wallpaper. If it wants to come off it will due
to the moisture in the mud, you could end up with a big mess and self
stripping walls.

Reminds me of when latex paint was "new", and my mom painted over
wallpaper. The wallpaper started
coming off the wall, but she fought back ) Pressed it back on until
it started to dry again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:21:30 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed tediously.
Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the texture. I
can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge sanding,
priming, etc.

Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for thin
residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

If warm water works too slowly for you, rent a wallpaper steamer, it
works great for removing thick paste residue. Just steam an area for
10-15 seconds or so and scrape off with a plastic wide knife. Then
finish up with a clean warm water washdown.

I had several rooms and hallways that had paper over bare drywall (not
primed or painted). The steamer allowed me to get the paper and paste
off without totally trashing the drywall. The steam softened the
drywall paper facing, but after it dried out, it was fine.

Or for not much more than rental cost, you can buy a Wagner steamer,
which, unlike their painting machines, actually works pretty well,
especially if you don't have a huge area to do.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

lol!

However...I have always 4" brushed houses. Never sprayed anything except
from cans. The HUD wreck I have now had just too much overall surface
area, raised contour, large carport ceiling and wide soffit. Needed both
priming & painting. I took a chance and got a 2800 psi Wagner Paint Crew.
$200-50 rebate.

It worked excellent. Didn't paint in hot weather or direct sun. Never let
tip dry out. Always kept a bucket of water nearby. When putting the head
down for anything more than a few minutes, I'd toss it in the bucket. Tip
did not clog once. Cleaned just the head of the gun daily and overnight
I'd cover the supply tray with plastic wrap and cover. Paint never
skinned.

The only PITA was no swival between the head and hose but for 150 that'd
be like asking for a voice controled console in a Vega. Paid for itself
in one use in my case and opinion - the sprayer, not the Vega.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

I have successfully use a "black" (very coarse) 3M pad designed for BBQ
cleaning. It came with a handle. If the plaster or drywall has a good coat
of paint, wetting it with water with a cap full of detergent and a 1/2 cup
of ammonia then gently scrubbing to get the softened crud off the wall,
rinse the 3M pad frequently, and change the water often.

Solvite Wallpaper paste Tom UK diy 6 May 26th 08 11:53 PM
Wallpaper paste recommendations, please! [email protected] UK diy 2 May 13th 08 09:29 PM
Removing wallpaper paste / preparing old bare walls sennapod UK diy 6 November 24th 05 09:48 PM
Removing "shiny" wallpaper paste residue MarkZ Home Repair 1 August 18th 05 12:28 PM
Wallpaper paste Harry K Home Repair 13 August 17th 05 07:52 AM