Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Removing Thick Wallpaper Paste

"Norminn" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:

Old house that had some wallpaper boarder up. No sizing. Removed
tediously. Paste caked on thick. Wall has a texture. Paste filled in the
texture. I can probably make it not very noticable between feather edge
sanding, priming, etc.
Can wallpaper paste removers disolve this off or is that basically for
thin residuals? Any personal experience with a particular one worked out
good?

Have a look-see here for a rough idea of it:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dwht9k&s=3

When I remove wallpaper, I spray the wall to soften the paste. Then
scrape or scrub with rag
and warm water. I've never used anything more than water and household
cleaner. I doubt
the chemical removers are much better than plain water.

I agree, all paste is water soluable. All the removers are is typically a
bit of soap to help wet the surface and retard evaporation. Keep scrubbing
and it will eventially come off if it was applied over plaster or paint. If
it was directly onto drywall mud or paper then you might as well sand and
paint or skim it over with new mud.

Be careful applying mud over wallpaper. If it wants to come off it will due
to the moisture in the mud, you could end up with a big mess and self
stripping walls.