Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Polaris 65

I have Polaris 65 that worked for 2 months. The problem is that the
cylinder that moves back and forth will not move. The plastic seems to
have corroded and the cylinder will not slide in and out with water
pressure.

I have an above-ground 33 ft. diameter., deep dish pool. I use Soft-
Swim, a non-chlorine chemical system.
This is the 5th. replacement Polaris 65 I have purchased. Is there a
compound I can use to clean the plastic cylinder. I have tried car
wax, various household cleaners, sandpaper, emery paper, soft scrub,
and so on. There must be something that I can use to "slick up" the
cylinder so it will slide.

I appreciate any advice. I can't afford to be constantly replacing the
Polaris 65 every few months.

ClifW
Junior Member

Location: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have Polaris 65 that worked for 2 months. The problem is that the
cylinder that moves back and forth will not move. The plastic seems to
have corroded and the cylinder will not slide in and out with water
pressure.

I have an above-ground 33 ft. diameter., deep dish pool. I use Soft-
Swim, a non-chlorine chemical system.
This is the 5th. replacement Polaris 65 I have purchased. Is there a
compound I can use to clean the plastic cylinder. I have tried car
wax, various household cleaners, sandpaper, emery paper, soft scrub,
and so on. There must be something that I can use to "slick up" the
cylinder so it will slide.

I appreciate any advice. I can't afford to be constantly replacing the
Polaris 65 every few months.

ClifW
I'm no expert, I've had a Polaris 65 for just about as long as you have. I have been reading the manual and note in the Troubleshooting section that it appears you can replace the piston and not be forced to replace the entire unit. There is also reference to checking a filter located inside the unit that may be clogged. Hope this helps.