Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DWV pipe through studs

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do I
need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do I
need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

Franz Fripplfrappl

If they are not load bearing, I see no problem with 2x6. But, I think you're
going to find that most fixtures are geared for 1 1/2" fittings so why use 2
inch pipe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in
the process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6"
wall or do I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate
the pipe.

If the walls are not load bearing, then you can bore a hole up to 60%
of the stud depth, which is 3.3" for a 2x6, plenty for 2" DWV.

If a wall is load bearing, then you are restricted to 40%, which is
2.2" for a 2x6, not quite enough for 2" plastic DWV (but OK for 2"
copper DWV). However, you can bore a load bearing stud up to 60% if
you double the stud, although not for more than two consecutive studs.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

================================================= Franz Fripplfrappl

If they are not load bearing, I see no problem with 2x6. But, I think
you're going to find that most fixtures are geared for 1 1/2" fittings
so why use 2 inch pipe?

It's venting to roof. I have 3" to septic, toilet. Using 2" vent.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do
I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

If the walls are not load bearing, then you can bore a hole up to 60% of
the stud depth, which is 3.3" for a 2x6, plenty for 2" DWV.

If a wall is load bearing, then you are restricted to 40%, which is 2.2"
for a 2x6, not quite enough for 2" plastic DWV (but OK for 2" copper
DWV). However, you can bore a load bearing stud up to 60% if you double
the stud, although not for more than two consecutive studs.

Cheers, Wayne

Good advice. Thanks.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:20:31 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:37:51 GMT, franz fripplfrappl
wrote:

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do
I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe

Is this a load bearing wall?

NOT load bearing.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:30:10 +0000, JC wrote:

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do
I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

--

================================================= Franz Fripplfrappl

If they are not load bearing, I see no problem with 2x6. But, I think
you're going to find that most fixtures are geared for 1 1/2" fittings
so why use 2 inch pipe?

It's venting to roof. I have 3" to septic, toilet. Using 2" vent.

Is this legal in your area? Here you must have at least one 3" vent line,
secondary vents for additional sinks, toilets, etc. can be 1 1/2" pipe and
if they don't tie back into the 3" main vent they must expand to 3" as they
exit the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:53:54 -0400, EXT wrote:

[...]

Already checked: vent cannot be smaller than 1/2 of pipe. A 2" works
just fine with the 3" system.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

Already checked: vent cannot be smaller than 1/2 of pipe. A 2" works
just fine with the 3" system.

There is also typically a requirement that the aggregate vent size be
at least as large as the building sewer (main drain). Or sometimes
there is the stronger requirement that at least one vent is as large
as the building sewer. Just FYI.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-12, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

Already checked: vent cannot be smaller than 1/2 of pipe. A 2" works
just fine with the 3" system.

There is also typically a requirement that the aggregate vent size be at
least as large as the building sewer (main drain). Or sometimes there
is the stronger requirement that at least one vent is as large as the
building sewer. Just FYI.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks. Already ran this past the building inspector and I'm fine with a
2" vent through roof.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or
do I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

As Wayne mentioned, the largest hole you can put in a load-bearing stud is
2.2" (40%), or 3.3" (60%) in a non-load-bearing stud. If you double-up the
studs, you shouldn't have a problem with 2-1/4" holes (41%) for a short
horizontal run. I had to run a 2" drain for our kitchen sink through an
exterior 2x6 load-bearing wall under a window to reach the vent/drain off
to the side (about three feet run total). My inspector said it was fine.

As for using 2" pipe when 1-1/2" would do, I did it for simplicity. It's
easier to pick up a supply of 2" pipe and fittings than to keep an
inventory of various sizes on hand. Especially when you're working a long
distance from the nearest store. I plumbed my entire house with 2" and 3"
drains.

You generally need the equivalent vent as the main drain leaving the
building. For instance, if you have a 3" main drain, you need a 3" vent. Of
course, you could use three 2" vents to get the same venting as a single
3" vent. On the other hand, if you live in a cold climate, smaller vents
can ice over and potentially block the small vent. So 3" vents are often
the minimum size in cold climates.

In my case, I wanted to minimize the number of pipes penetrating the roof,
both for appearance and the increased potential for leaks. So I installed a
single 3" main vent through the roof, and tied all my fixture vents into
the one main vent. I have a large 3" trunk line running through the attic,
and all my smaller 2" vents tie into that. It meant a little extra pipe,
but PVC pipe is fairly inexpensive and the tradeoff was well worth it in my
opinion.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 2:26 pm, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

Thanks. Already ran this past the building inspector and I'm fine with a
2" vent through roof.

Ask him if he'd accept an air admittance valve. It'd save you the
extra work and roof penetration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do I
need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

--
Typically the code restricts the boring or notching of studs based on
bearing or non-bearing. Non-bearing allows 60%, bearing - 40%. Note
Posted to alt.home.repair

the main vent stack you refer to needs to be 3". But that has nothing to do
with running vent pipes in walls. The main stack does not run horizontal
through walls.

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:30:10 +0000, JC wrote:

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
I'm using 2" DWV pipe for bathroom/kitchen sinks and vent. I'm in the
process of constructing the walls. Can I get by with a 2x6" wall or do
I need 2x8"? I will be boring the studs to accommodate the pipe.

--

================================================= Franz Fripplfrappl

If they are not load bearing, I see no problem with 2x6. But, I think
you're going to find that most fixtures are geared for 1 1/2" fittings
so why use 2 inch pipe?

It's venting to roof. I have 3" to septic, toilet. Using 2" vent.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Windows Between Studs? Erin Home Repair 22 December 15th 17 12:13 AM
Gas Pipe Install Question - attaching to the wall studs - what isbest way? D J Home Repair 3 May 14th 08 08:15 PM
Moving studs Eigenvector Home Repair 9 May 8th 07 04:49 PM
Studs behind drywall SAl Home Repair 5 October 28th 06 03:17 AM
Ball studs; Richard Hanley Metalworking 0 February 24th 05 08:10 PM