Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning A Cedar Deck

I'm cleaning my 10 x 12' cedar deck. Two years ago, I washed it with bleach. It
cleaned up fairly well. I stained it with one coat of Sikken Cedar stain. Now
the dark grey film has returned with a vengeance. There are trees coming right up
to the deck, and it gets the morning and midday sun (the deck faces east). With
my portable belt sander, I'm able to sand down to bare wood, but it's slow going.
After several hours, I've cleaned 1/3 of the deck. I looked at a large vibrating
sander (the size of a big buffer) at Home Depot to rent ($41.00 a day), but I'm
not sure if a vibrating sander, even though it's a big one, is going to cut through
that film very agressively.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott in Minnesota
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 3:02*pm, Scott wrote:
I'm cleaning my 10 x 12' cedar deck. Two years ago, I washed it with bleach. It
cleaned up fairly well. I stained it with one coat of Sikken Cedar stain. *Now
the dark grey film has returned with a vengeance. There are trees coming right up
to the deck, and it gets the morning and midday sun (the deck faces east). With
my portable belt sander, I'm able to sand down to bare wood, but it's slow going.
After several hours, I've cleaned 1/3 of the deck. I looked at a large vibrating
sander (the size of a big buffer) at Home Depot to rent ($41.00 a day), but I'm
not sure if a vibrating sander, even though it's a big one, is going to cut through
that film very agressively.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott in Minnesota

Use bleach to kill mold, wash it then use Oxcilic acid to clean it and
power wash it, or buy a cedar cleaner, I know Sherwin Williams is
Oxcilic acid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Scott...I have a cedar deck and this year for the first time (after
using several cleaners etc for the past 5 or so years) I used my pressure
washer... it literally made my cedar jump back to the day I brought it home
from the store...so try a pressure washer.. Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimi wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a pretty good pressure washer last summer, and I tried a sample out on
my deck. In order to clean off the film, I had to hold it fairly close, and the
water started goinging the wood. I did however, us the pressure washer on my
front (treated wood) porch, and it did a great job. For the deck, I think I'll
try try a heavier duty belt sander and see how that works.

Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:

I'm cleaning my 10 x 12' cedar deck. Two years ago, I washed it with bleach. It
cleaned up fairly well. I stained it with one coat of Sikken Cedar stain. Now
the dark grey film has returned with a vengeance. There are trees coming right up
to the deck, and it gets the morning and midday sun (the deck faces east). With
my portable belt sander, I'm able to sand down to bare wood, but it's slow going.
After several hours, I've cleaned 1/3 of the deck. I looked at a large vibrating
sander (the size of a big buffer) at Home Depot to rent ($41.00 a day), but I'm
not sure if a vibrating sander, even though it's a big one, is going to cut through
that film very agressively.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott in Minnesota

Update,

We've had above average rainfall this week. Even covering the cleaned part of the deck
with a plastic tarp, the wood still gets wet. I notice that after just 3 days, the part
of the deck that I sanded first seems to already have a new greyish film appearing. Is
this mold? If so, would it be a good plan to wash every newly sanded area with bleach
right away to keep it clean until I can stain the whole deck at once?

Thanks again!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
I'm cleaning my 10 x 12' cedar deck. Two years ago, I washed it with bleach. It
cleaned up fairly well. I stained it with one coat of Sikken Cedar stain. Now
the dark grey film has returned with a vengeance. There are trees coming right up
to the deck, and it gets the morning and midday sun (the deck faces east). With
my portable belt sander, I'm able to sand down to bare wood, but it's slow going.
After several hours, I've cleaned 1/3 of the deck. I looked at a large vibrating
sander (the size of a big buffer) at Home Depot to rent ($41.00 a day), but I'm
not sure if a vibrating sander, even though it's a big one, is going to cut through
that film very agressively.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott in Minnesota

Hi,
Good pressure washer will do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
[...]

a "good" pressure washer will make a cedar deck look as hairy as a wookie
from Star Wars.

Cedar is too delicate for pressure washing except at the very lowest
pressure seting and holding the wand far away from the wood. I have seen
people ruin a beautiful cedar deck with pressure washers. It sure got the
dirt off too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pressure washing works fine. Just do it at a low setting. 1800 PSI with a
fan spray works great on my cedar deck. You do have to do it every year to
keep it from getting away from you. My 10 x 12 deck takes about 3 hours to
clean and a day later, about 2 hours to coat with Thompsons water seal.
It;s just a yearly thing.

"Scott" wrote in message

Scott wrote:

[...]

Cleaning a Cedar Deck Scott Home Repair 6 September 11th 05 07:29 PM
Protecting Cedar Deck Scott Home Repair 9 August 23rd 04 12:06 AM
Cleaning Cedar Deck Seeker Home Repair 3 June 21st 04 12:34 PM
Cedar deck maintenance Eric Woodworking 3 October 11th 03 10:39 PM
Cedar deck spacing Greg Woodworking 2 August 12th 03 03:02 AM