Greg

Default Cedar deck spacing

I am putting in a cedar deck and wanted to get some opinions on
spacing the deck boards. Important details are that my boards are 2x6
cedar and that I live in Oregon (i.e. it rains here sometimes). The
boards seem pretty dry, especially compared to the PT I bought for the
joists.

I searched postings and found advice ranging from butting them
together to leaving 1/4" space. I'm leaning toward about 3/16".

Thanks in advance.

-Greg
Wood Butcher

I live in Oregon too and I used 1/4" spacing on mine. In
hindsight I wish I'd have gone with 1/8" instead. 1/4" is
just perfect for maple seeds to fall into and get stuck. It's
a real PITA digging them out individually by hand.

Art

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
I am putting in a cedar deck and wanted to get some opinions on
spacing the deck boards. Important details are that my boards are 2x6
cedar and that I live in Oregon (i.e. it rains here sometimes). The
boards seem pretty dry, especially compared to the PT I bought for the
joists.

I searched postings and found advice ranging from butting them
together to leaving 1/4" space. I'm leaning toward about 3/16".

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Wood Butcher

I live in Oregon too and I used 1/4" spacing on mine. In
hindsight I wish I'd have gone with 1/8" instead. 1/4" is
just perfect for maple seeds to fall into and get stuck. It's
a real PITA digging them out individually by hand.

Art

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
I am putting in a cedar deck and wanted to get some opinions on
spacing the deck boards. Important details are that my boards are 2x6
cedar and that I live in Oregon (i.e. it rains here sometimes). The
boards seem pretty dry, especially compared to the PT I bought for the
joists.

I searched postings and found advice ranging from butting them
together to leaving 1/4" space. I'm leaning toward about 3/16".

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Rhino Liner on a mower deck Roy Metalworking 11 December 15th 03 05:24 PM
attach deck to house or not? HomerJ Woodworking 18 September 8th 03 08:01 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Ignoramus26420 Woodworking 19 July 22nd 03 03:20 PM
Deck Decision Help peter Woodworking 8 July 21st 03 05:36 PM
Deck Construction ? KJR UK diy 3 July 19th 03 10:11 PM