Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Clothesline has deck off level

Hello, previous owner had built a nice deck but made the mistake of
attaching the clothesline from the deck end post to a large maple
tree. The tree movement has shifted the deck (outside the line on a
bubble level. Any remediation to this or should I leave it alone -
clothesline removed. Was thinking of trying to level it up with a come
along attached to the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello, previous owner had built a nice deck but made the mistake of
attaching the clothesline from the deck end post to a large maple
tree. The tree movement has shifted the deck (outside the line on a
bubble level. Any remediation to this or should I leave it alone -
clothesline removed. Was thinking of trying to level it up with a come
along attached to the truck.

What kind of truck?

-TES
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:
Hello, previous owner had built a nice deck but made the mistake of
attaching the clothesline from the deck end post to a large maple
tree. The tree movement has shifted the deck (outside the line on a
bubble level. Any remediation to this or should I leave it alone -
clothesline removed. Was thinking of trying to level it up with a come
along attached to the truck.

It doesn't seem to me that a clothesline would be strong enough to pull
the deck off level. A typical clothesline would have a lot more give than
the deck. You may have a problem with the foundation. You might want to
check that before you go too far trying to straighten it up.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

BillGill wrote:
jim wrote:
Hello, previous owner had built a nice deck but made the mistake of
attaching the clothesline from the deck end post to a large maple
tree. The tree movement has shifted the deck (outside the line on a
bubble level. Any remediation to this or should I leave it alone -
clothesline removed. Was thinking of trying to level it up with a come
along attached to the truck.

It doesn't seem to me that a clothesline would be strong enough to pull
the deck off level. A typical clothesline would have a lot more give than
the deck. You may have a problem with the foundation. You might want to
check that before you go too far trying to straighten it up.

I think he means "plumb" not "level".

We use #10 wire for clothesline which would be plenty strong to move
quite a lot of stuff over time...

As for putting it back, it would all depend on how it is built and from
what and what actually moved. Need far more info to judge (which is why
I didn't respond to begin with).

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

--

It's a deck that's free standing with cross bracing thats up to code.
The deck is roughly 10x16 and 5 feet off the ground. The posts are

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jim wrote:
It's a deck that's free standing with cross bracing thats up to code.
The deck is roughly 10x16 and 5 feet off the ground. The posts are
bracketed atop footings that are 3ft down. Typical 4x4 brackets at
the footings. The clothesline was attached to the corner outside post.
The tree is about 60ft in height. There is a lot of movement in the
tree. Yes - plumb / not level. Eventhough the deck has moved it has
not affected the footings. They are still plumb and no cracking where
the bracket bolt goes into the cement. There is some apparent movement
where the cross bracing is bolted to the 4x4 posts. I was planning on
lossening the bracing bolts, hooking a come a long to the truck.
Tighten the come along until a 2nd party with a level indicates that
the deck is plumb again and then repositioning the bracing.

Is it far enough off plumb it's discernible by eye? If not, I'd
probably not fool with it.

Is "apparent movement" swaying w/ people moving on the deck or the
result of the tension force left it in a new but solid position? If the
former, it's the other reason I might mess w/ trying to reposition it,
but if it's not obvious and it's solid, quite likely not worth the
effort (imo, ymmv, of course).

For no heavier of a structure than that, should be moderately trivial to
shift it some if chose to do so. Whether the bracing will tighten up
sufficiently again to hold it in the original position for long will be
the question I suspect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:55 am, dpb wrote:
BillGill wrote:
jim wrote:
[...]

If you can fix it from below, I'd use a turnbuckle and cable, maybe a
few depending on the situation.