Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Line Depth

Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Correction. It says

6" MP
----
GAS CL?

The CL is faded, so not sure if it means centerline or something else.

On Jun 6, 5:03*pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. *According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. *On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. *Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? *From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. *Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Don't hold me to it but I read it as a 6" diameter Medium Pressure pipe
running in the way of the arrows. The CL should mean centerline.

Depth can vary according to many factors so dig carefully.

wrote in message
Correction. It says

6" MP
----

On Jun 6, 5:03 pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

EXT wrote:
Don't hold me to it but I read it as a 6" diameter Medium Pressure pipe
running in the way of the arrows. The CL should mean centerline.

Depth can vary according to many factors so dig carefully.

Not seeing it and relying on OP, I'd read it same.

But, if it is a 6" line, it's not the house distribution line and it'll
be a heck of a lot deeper than just 12-18" unless it's just a local
raised section simply for connections. I'd guess it would be more like
24-30".

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
EXT wrote:
Don't hold me to it but I read it as a 6" diameter Medium Pressure pipe
running in the way of the arrows. The CL should mean centerline.

Depth can vary according to many factors so dig carefully.

Not seeing it and relying on OP, I'd read it same.

But, if it is a 6" line, it's not the house distribution line and it'll be
a heck of a lot deeper than just 12-18" unless it's just a local raised
section simply for connections. I'd guess it would be more like 24-30".

Agreed, however standards for depth vary according to local practices.
Sometimes depth is adjusted locally by construction work over the pipe by
adding fill or removing soil, so that any records by the gas company may be
out of date. Often locating a pipe is difficult if local landmarks have been
moved, or there are other installations in, around, over or next to the
pipe. -- Dig by hand carefully -- it would be good to know if you are
dealing with cast iron or steel as they are quite durable, plastic could be
cut or punctured by a sharp pick or shovel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

EXT wrote:
... -- Dig by hand carefully -- it would be good
to know if you are dealing with cast iron or steel as they are quite
durable, plastic could be cut or punctured by a sharp pick or shovel.

Unless you're really going at it, you're not going to puncture a 6"
distribution line by hand digging all that easily, plastic or no...

That said, obviously don't just go absolutely hog wild w/ a sharp
pickaxe, but reasonable digging won't be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Thanks!

Often, gas, water, communication, power and various utility lines share a
common trench. I've seen lines as deep as 60". If you're in a facility that
is well maintained, there might be as-built drawings showing the cross
section and depth of utility lines. Careful when digging, I know a backhoe
operator got killed when he hit a medium voltage line some years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Contacting the gas company or local "call before you dig" service would get you
more reliable answers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Contacting the gas company or local "call before you dig" service would
get you more reliable answers.

Because of changes to dirt cover that may have occurred since the pipe was
installed they generally will not provide information on depth, it is up to
the "digger" to carefully hand uncover the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for all the great information. I did a little research and
according to the city of chicago, you have to call their service
called 'digger'. According to their web site, you first have to get a
permit before they even tell you where the lines are. Then they come
out and tell you where they are. This is a little problem since the
owner before planted these lovely bushes in the parkway, which I
hate. Finally, it's city property, not my own....so you can't cut
them down..or plant things there. So, long story short...if these
bushes go missing, I don't think it's an issue. If I called, I'd have
to get a permit first, then have them come out, then see if I can even
get a permit so I can cut down the bush...I don't know, it's a lot for
just something the previous owner did.

I was under the impression that they just say where they are located
and not how deep they are. I was carefully digging around the stump
today and didn't see anything. So, I think that I'll be safe and just
continue to dig little by little until that damn stump is removed!!!

And also, it's a main line. It sounds like as long as I'm careful, I
shouldn't have much to worry about.

Thanks!!

On Jun 7, 8:20*am, "EXT" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 8:20*am, "EXT" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. *According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. *On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. *Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? *From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. *Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Contacting the gas company or local "call before you dig" service would
get you more reliable answers.

Because of changes to dirt cover that may have occurred since the pipe was
installed they generally will not provide information on depth, it is up to
the "digger" to carefully hand uncover the pipe.- Hide quoted text -

A few years ago when replacing a water line to the house we had the
gas company mark the location. It was down about six foot. The guy
fixing the water line was being very careful because he found the gas
line was white plastic instead of the normal hearvy yellow stuff.
When trying to loosend a nut his arm slipped, his elbow hit the gas
line and cracked it!! Had to suspend digging for a couple hours while
the gas company repaired the line. The gas crew broke the pipe in
three other places during the repair. Gas company assured me they
were going to replace that line within 5 years. It's been over 5 and
they have not done it yet. The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Rich256 wrote:

The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

I am skeptical about that (unless the escaping gas was on fire).
Has anyone heard of this before?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ZIE2k.695$8q2.299@trnddc02,
M Q wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

I am skeptical about that (unless the escaping gas was on fire).
Has anyone heard of this before?

Yep. Many gas companies suggest using that as an indicator.
Just a couple I ran across post Google:
http://www.gulfstreamgas.com/recognizing_leak.htm
http://www.pplgas.com/home/using+nat...ipeline+safety.
htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

I am skeptical about that (unless the escaping gas was on fire).
Has anyone heard of this before?

Hi,
NG has peculiar smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in news:T4J2k.12561$js6.9600
@pd7urf1no:

M Q wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

I am skeptical about that (unless the escaping gas was on fire).
Has anyone heard of this before?

Hi,
NG has peculiar smell.

1. Natural gas has no smell. The gas company adds mercaptans, smelly
gases, to create that odor so you can tell if there's a leak. Natural gas
is a mixture of organic gases (methane, ethane, propane, butane, ...),
none of which have an odor to humans.

2. The various gases _will_ kill plants. Dead grass is a sign of a leak.
The dirt tends to turn a dark color, as I recall.

Hi,
NG is silent killer. Gas companies add smell for safety reasons.
If in doubt check with your local gas company. I live in Alberta
where oil and gas is abundant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 8:20�am, "EXT" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

easier and safer to cut stump off just under ground level, drill a few
holes in what remains of stump, add rotting stuff, cover with dirt and
grass.

mound soil a little over stump if you want.

hit any regroth with vegation killer......

why dig up a stump and endanger the gas line unnecessarily?

all hard work easier and best avoided
Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

�The gas company repair man said my grass
would die if there was a leak (burn??).

I am skeptical about that (unless the escaping gas was on fire).
Has anyone heard of this before?

Hi,
NG has peculiar smell.

1. Natural gas has no smell. The gas company adds mercaptans, smelly
gases, to create that odor so you can tell if there's a leak. Natural gas
is a mixture of organic gases (methane, ethane, propane, butane, ...),
none of which have an odor to humans.

2. The various gases _will_ kill plants. Dead grass is a sign of a leak.
The dirt tends to turn a dark color, as I recall.

Hi,
NG is silent killer. Gas companies add smell for safety reasons.
If in doubt check with your local gas company. I live in Alberta
where oil and gas is abundant.- Hide quoted text -

raw gas does have a oily smell, as anyone who has smelled a gas well
leak can tell you. the odorant isnt added till later