Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wiz561@gmail.com is offline

Default Gas Line Depth

Thank you for all the great information. I did a little research and
according to the city of chicago, you have to call their service
called 'digger'. According to their web site, you first have to get a
permit before they even tell you where the lines are. Then they come
out and tell you where they are. This is a little problem since the
owner before planted these lovely bushes in the parkway, which I
hate. Finally, it's city property, not my own....so you can't cut
them down..or plant things there. So, long story short...if these
bushes go missing, I don't think it's an issue. If I called, I'd have
to get a permit first, then have them come out, then see if I can even
get a permit so I can cut down the bush...I don't know, it's a lot for
just something the previous owner did.

I was under the impression that they just say where they are located
and not how deep they are. I was carefully digging around the stump
today and didn't see anything. So, I think that I'll be safe and just
continue to dig little by little until that damn stump is removed!!!

And also, it's a main line. It sounds like as long as I'm careful, I
shouldn't have much to worry about.

Thanks!!

On Jun 7, 8:20*am, "EXT" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

wrote in message
Hi!

I'm going to be digging out a bush that runs right underneath the gas
line. *According to JULIE, they don't say how deep the line is...just
that it's there. *On my sidewalk right next to the outside turn-off
valve, it has ' 6" gas twp?" spray-painted on it. *Before I start to
carefully dig, does this mean that the gas line is only 6" below the
surface? *From what I recall, the line should run a foot or two
underneath the surface, which is deeper than I will dig. *Also, for
what it's worth, I live in Chicago.

Just looking for some answers before I start my adventure...

Contacting the gas company or local "call before you dig" service would
get you more reliable answers.

Because of changes to dirt cover that may have occurred since the pipe was
installed they generally will not provide information on depth, it is up to
the "digger" to carefully hand uncover the pipe.