Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flushing downstairs causes dripping upstairs?

Hi All,

I am in a new homeowner and I am greatly confused and worried about a
dripping noise that I am hearing. I live in a 2 story home, with the
water heater/washer/dryer located upstairs.

After flushing any toilet, whether it be upstairs, or downstairs I am
hearing a dripping/tapping noise(like water being dripped onto wood)
from inside the upstairs wall. This dripping sound persists for 15
seconds until the toilet is filled up and then stops until the next
time the toilet is flushed. To my knowledge, this dripping sound
does occur when I am taking a shower or running the faucet, only when
flushing the toilet.

Something I thought this may have been related to was a gurgling sound
I heard in my washer's drain after turning on the central air for the
first time(in 4 or 5 months).

Any idea?

thanks in advance
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 10:28�am, wrote:
[...]

mighgt be pipes moving rather than drip.

if any pipes are accesible in basement or wherever. try holding them
while someone flushes, and see if noise disappears

if you had a home inspection cll the inspector they should give you a
free opinion. if home is brand new notify builder in writing
registered mail
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If this is a new(er) house with plastic waste piping, dripping noises
are quite common and can be heard from afar.

The utilities being on the 2nd floor may be a clue. Perhaps the
sudden drop in pressure caused when the toilet tank refills is
triggering some discharge on the 2nd floor into the waste piping.
For example, the water heater relief valve may open or the washing
machine solenoid valve may briefly lose its closed position seal.

Careful listening around those appliances while someone flushes
may give a hint. Or, you could close supply valves to each
and see if the dtrip still occurs.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 1:09*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

So is this dripping outside the pipe or within?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Dripping inside the pipe, if plastic, can be very noticeable.

If there is no evidence at all of leaks- stains, mold, warpage,
then quite likely it is inside a drain.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

New homeowner. If its a new home, you probably don't have an actual
problem. If it is an older house, for a couple hunderd bucks you can get a
plumber to snake every drain and use a moisture detector to assess if you
have any leaks, he can also explain the noise. All that for peace of mind.
If the sale was recent and the house was inspected, you could call and ask
the inspector if he noted such a condition and how thoroughly he inspected
the plumbing. Most don't mind questions.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

One thing that might give you some info to isolate source is to take a
cup of water and slowly pour it into the toilet. See if you hear the
dripping. Also try pouring a cup into the back fill bowl.