Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mr.E@totally.invalid is offline

Default Flushing downstairs causes dripping upstairs?

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:28:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi All,

I am in a new homeowner and I am greatly confused and worried about a
dripping noise that I am hearing. I live in a 2 story home, with the
water heater/washer/dryer located upstairs.

After flushing any toilet, whether it be upstairs, or downstairs I am
hearing a dripping/tapping noise(like water being dripped onto wood)
from inside the upstairs wall. This dripping sound persists for 15
seconds until the toilet is filled up and then stops until the next
time the toilet is flushed. To my knowledge, this dripping sound
does occur when I am taking a shower or running the faucet, only when
flushing the toilet.

Something I thought this may have been related to was a gurgling sound
I heard in my washer's drain after turning on the central air for the
first time(in 4 or 5 months).

Any idea?

Some water meters make a ticking or tapping sound at low flow rates.
Listen at the meter while someone flushes a closet.
--
Mr.E