Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Vinyl Siding?

Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

A cheap plywood blade installed backwards in your circular saw of choice
does a fine job for crosscuts.

You can knock together a simple guide jig (I can upload a picture somewhere)
to create your own little sliding saw for the crosscuts.

To do the angle cuts (gable ends) with saw you need one of the more
expensive sliding miter saws and the backwards blade. I just use siding
snips as I don't do it often enough to justify the expense.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

I cut it with tin snips. If I wanted better/easier I would use a sliding
miter saw with a saw blade for plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 4:55*pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

I cut it with tin snips. *If I wanted better/easier I would use a sliding
miter saw with a saw blade for plastic.

Yep. Big pair of tin snips is the answer.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Plywood blade running backwards. I've never had any luck with any
type of blade running forward.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 7:31 pm, Harry K wrote:
On May 29, 4:55 pm, "Pat" wrote:

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

Hi Guys
Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior.
We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding.
The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical,
What's the best way to cut that type of siding?
I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about
setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table.
(I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without
chipping it?
Thanks Fella's
Ken

I cut it with tin snips. If I wanted better/easier I would use a sliding
miter saw with a saw blade for plastic.

Yep. Big pair of tin snips is the answer.

Harry K

Thank you all for your replies.
I have a pair of "aviation" snips, which are slightly
serrated, that I use for tin snips, I suppose I'll give
them a try, and if that's a problem, stick a Skil
saw with a backward plywood blade on the bottom
of a table.
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
I have a pair of "aviation" snips, which are slightly
serrated, that I use for tin snips, I suppose I'll give
them a try, and if that's a problem, stick a Skil
saw with a backward plywood blade on the bottom
of a table.
Ken

Ken those snips that you have are great for cutting the nailing flange.

The blade is too short to provide a clean cut when cutting the face of the
board or to protect you hand.

A decent set of siding snips will run $25 or less. Here is a link;
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...2TS&lpage=none

The longer blade protects the cut and the longer handle protects you hand.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 1:49 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

I have a pair of "aviation" snips, which are slightly
serrated, that I use for tin snips, I suppose I'll give
them a try, and if that's a problem, stick a Skil
saw with a backward plywood blade on the bottom
of a table.
Ken

Ken those snips that you have are great for cutting the nailing flange.

The blade is too short to provide a clean cut when cutting the face of the
board or to protect you hand.

A decent set of siding snips will run $25 or less. Here is a link;http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=6226-26...

Well they're sexy looking!

The longer blade protects the cut and the longer handle protects you hand.

--
Colbyt

Nice site Mr.Colbyt.
I'm a mediocre tradesman, wife and I just built this
lttle cabin,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/
Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com

Nice site Mr.Colbyt.
I'm a mediocre tradesman, wife and I just built this
lttle cabin,http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamics/
Ken

I speak from experience. The smaller the project, the more trimming
you do and about the 3rd time you carry a piece to the saw for
trimming you will be thinking 'that pair of shears sure would be nice
now'.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 6:56 am, Harry K wrote:
On May 31, 5:22 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

On May 30, 1:49 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in ...

[...]

Hi Harry, excellent point! Being up on a scaffold,
I'd rather trim there than going up and down a
ladder, so your suggestions boosts efficiency and
quality.
Thanks again guys.
Ken

100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Cutting vinyl Siding twfsa Home Repair 6 May 27th 05 10:30 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 January 25th 05 12:42 AM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Ownership 0 January 24th 05 06:07 PM