twfsa

Default Cutting vinyl Siding

I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for
expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is
there another idea out there?

I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs
to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft
long.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/Siding001.jpg

Thanks

Tom

tom

twfsa wrote:
I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for
expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is
there another idea out there?

I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs
to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft
long.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/Siding001.jpg

Thanks

Tom Snips should work just fine. Tom

Bob S.

twfsa wrote:
I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for
expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is
there another idea out there?

I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs
to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft
long.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/Siding001.jpg

Thanks

Tom

Are you going to take it down to cut it? If so, use a circular saw with
a plywood blade turned around backwards. Makes a nice clean cut.
If not, tin snips will work, as will a utility knife with a sharp
blade. But neither will be as clean a cut as if you took it down.
Bob S.

RicodJour

twfsa wrote:
I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for
expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is
there another idea out there?

I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs
to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft
long.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/Siding001.jpg

I believe you have what is technically called a "pain in the ass"
situation. Nothing particularly difficult, but a lot of work to do a
little work!

Tin snips will work fine. You don't have to have perfect cuts as the
trim will cover the edge anyway.

longshot

i wouldn't trim it until expansion proved it necessary.. a lot of that
expansion talk is simple precautionary.

David Martel

twfsa,

Take down the trim. Get a small cutter, like a dremel tool. Go slow so
you don't melt the siding as you cut it. I'd favor a toothed cutter over a
disc.

Dave M.

twfsa

If it were not buckeling due to expansion from the heat I would not be
taking it down.

Tom