Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rewiring an outside motion sensor floodlight

Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 6:44�pm, wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

it should be no problem as long as you can get it apart
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

Just disconnect the wires to the sensor and wire the power directly to the
lights.
All this will occur in the electrical box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On May 25, 6:44?pm, wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

it should be no problem as long as you can get it apart

Not a problem at all. When you remove the unit, it will have three wires
attached to the motion detector head, white, black and red. With the power
turned off, all you have to do is cut the black and red wires where they
attach to the motion detector head, and splice them together with a wire
nut. The unit will now work as a standard floodlight

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:22:06 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message
On May 25, 6:44?pm, wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

it should be no problem as long as you can get it apart

Not a problem at all. When you remove the unit, it will have three wires
attached to the motion detector head, white, black and red. With the power
turned off, all you have to do is cut the black and red wires where they
attach to the motion detector head, and splice them together with a wire
nut. The unit will now work as a standard floodlight

This should work, but why would you leave the sensor wired in at all?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 8:44*pm, wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to open up and rewire a motion sensor floodlight so the
motion sensor part is disabled? The motion sensor is not working on a
floodlight outside of my house and I'd rather have it just work with
the switch anyway. I know they're cheap but a trip to home depot is a
pain in the neck for me.

.
Yes.
You are getting basically the same info from various posters.
Lets try and simplify this.
Make sure the circuit is switched/turned off.
In the wiring box behind the light fixture.
The white wire from the supply should and probably goes directly to
the white wire to the lamp or lamps. Leave this alone.
The black (live) wire from the supply (switch)** takes electrcity into
the sensor that turns on the light. Disconnect the black wire to the
sensor.
The sensor is a sort of switch operated by night time and motion etc.
Also disconnect the red sensor wire from the black wire*** going to
the lights. You indicate the sensor is broken, so that what seems to
be happening is that nothing is coming out of the sensor on the red
wire to turn on the light/s.
Cut back or tape off the red and black wires of the sensor; they will
now be dead/not used.
Finally; the black wire coming from the switch** connect to the black
wire going the lamps***.
Turn the power back on again and when the switch is turned on the
black live wire*** will take electrcity directly to the black wire to
the lamps** and they should go on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On May 25, 6:44?pm, wrote:
[...]

That's up to the OP, he just wanted it disabled

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all, it worked like a charm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RBM, adam muecke wrote:
I tried that but the white wire is attached to the lamp and still has no
power...what do i hook rhe white wire to? Maybe the ground?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ht-308861-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to terry, vince wrote:
is it possible to disconnect one light from the motion detector and let the
other light be wired directly?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-308861-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 10:14:07 PM UTC-5, vince wrote:
replying to terry, vince wrote:
is it possible to disconnect one light from the motion detector and let the
other light be wired directly?

Aren't those 2 things the same?

Unless, of course, you want to disable one light completely. If so, just loosen the bulb.

Anything more complicated than that will depend on how the fixture is wired and
what wires you have access to. A picture might help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 9:14:07 PM UTC-6, vince wrote:
replying to terry, vince wrote:
is it possible to disconnect one light from the motion detector and let the
other light be wired directly?
--

You're too late. Unfortunately, 8 years ago, terry was trampled to death and eaten by a stampeding herd of ten thousand rabid gerbils. He is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 12 children, 4 dogs, 13 cats, 6 dairy cows, 24 rabbits, 3 monkeys, 2 zebras, a python and 7 nervous guinea pigs. It was a real tragedy and the guinea pigs really miss him. (~_~

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RBM, Ashley wrote:
This was very helpful!!! Took less than 5 minutes for this non-electrical
woman!!! Thank you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-308861-.htm