Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Advice, or a Tale of Two Lowesı

I have an older toilet that flushes poorly. Itıs on of the ones that
was made about the time 1.6 gallon toilets became a requirement, i.e.,
they reduced the flow but did nothing to compensate for the lack of
flushing power.

I was in Loweıs yesterday looking for something else, when I noticed
they had some toilet tanks on sale that claim to have superior flush
power, in that they discharge the water faster. I asked the salesman if
this could be used with an existing toilet, and he said it could if the
hole pattern matched for the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. He
suggested that I measure the spacing of the bolts on the existing toilet
and then come back.

So, I took and wrote down the measurements, and since I was headed in a
different direction today I would up at a different Loweıs. So I spoke
to the salesman at this Loweıs, and told him what the salesman in the
other store had said, and showed him the measurements. At this point he
said that I should not purchase a new tank even if it had the same bolt
spacing. He said the salesman in the first store was wrong, that even
if the bolts match the tanks should only be used on the bowls for which
they are designed, since they all sit on the bowl differently, and may
not seal properly and thus may leak at the gasket between the tank and
the bowl.

So, which salesman is correct?

I know I can always purchase and install a whole new better flushing
toilet, but I was trying to solve the problem on a cheap-and-dirty
basis. I was hoping to be able to use a $10 off any purchase over $50
coupon that I had been given with an earlier purchase. Buying a new
toilet would be rather expensive since my bathroom has a 10 inch
rough-in, so itıs not just a stock item. But then again lately Iıve had
to plunge so much that my arm is sometimes sore.

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
I have an older toilet that flushes poorly. Itıs on of the ones that
was made about the time 1.6 gallon toilets became a requirement, i.e.,
they reduced the flow but did nothing to compensate for the lack of
flushing power.

I was in Loweıs yesterday looking for something else, when I noticed
they had some toilet tanks on sale that claim to have superior flush
power, in that they discharge the water faster.

So, which salesman is correct?

Probably neither, but I'd not take the chance of doing a half assed job.
Toilet design has changed, as you note. In addition to the tank, the bowl
has changed also. Changing the tank may or may not help your problem. IMO,
not worth the chance. I'd get a new Kohler elongated bowl because I know
they work. We use them at work. I'd also buy one from the local plumbing
supply because they are cheaper than HD or Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"buffalobill" wrote in message

buffalo ny: i like the second opinion. but why not diagnose and repair
the existing equipment and snake an old towel backwards up the bowl to
pull out any hidden blockage like plastic spoons after you take both
tank and bowl apart and outside and clean with a pressure washer
perhaps at the local car wash. when you have poked thru mineral
blockage of the rim and jet holes with a coathanger or similar wire
and put in a flusher fixer by fluidmaster, see their site if you still
have a problem.

That is a lot of labor for a toilet of crappy design. The older 1.6 models
just did not work very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Weil wrote:
[...]

Since it is a big box place where everyone is an expert I would vote for
neither of them.

I know I can always purchase and install a whole new better flushing
toilet, but I was trying to solve the problem on a cheap-and-dirty
basis. I was hoping to be able to use a $10 off any purchase over $50
coupon that I had been given with an earlier purchase. Buying a new
toilet would be rather expensive since my bathroom has a 10 inch
rough-in, so itıs not just a stock item. But then again lately Iıve had
to plunge so much that my arm is sometimes sore.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry,

What did you ask? In the first store you ask if the new tank will fit
your toilet, not if it will fix your flush problem. I few simple
measurements will answer whether it will fit.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Weil" wrote

this could be used with an existing toilet, and he said it could if the
hole pattern matched for the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. He
suggested that I measure the spacing of the bolts on the existing toilet
and then come back.

This is partly correct.

said that I should not purchase a new tank even if it had the same bolt
spacing. He said the salesman in the first store was wrong, that even
if the bolts match the tanks should only be used on the bowls for which
they are designed, since they all sit on the bowl differently, and may
not seal properly and thus may leak at the gasket between the tank and
the bowl.

This may also be correct.

The answer depends on if the problem is partly the design of the bowl and
how close the design of the new unit's bowl is to the existing one.

Now, if you can get the base portion separately (and be sure they dont run
out of that model before you get back!) it's possible to try just the tank
back on the existing pedistal but be prepared to have to go back and get the
base then redo it if it doesnt work.

We were able to do what you propose with one of our 2 toilets. The other
one, we had to replace the whole unit because the bowl was 'wrong' and
flushing was inadequate with the origional bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"David L. Martel" wrote:

Larry,

What did you ask? In the first store you ask if the new tank will fit
your toilet, not if it will fix your flush problem. I few simple
measurements will answer whether it will fit.

Actually not so. I did ask and the salesman said it definitely would
help if I could do it. Sorry my original post didnıt include every word
I said.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Weil wrote:
I have an older toilet that flushes poorly. Itıs on of the ones that
was made about the time 1.6 gallon toilets became a requirement, i.e.,
they reduced the flow but did nothing to compensate for the lack of
flushing power.

So, which salesman is correct?

I know I can always purchase and install a whole new better flushing
toilet, but I was trying to solve the problem on a cheap-and-dirty
basis. I was hoping to be able to use a $10 off any purchase over $50
coupon that I had been given with an earlier purchase. Buying a new
toilet would be rather expensive since my bathroom has a 10 inch
rough-in, so itıs not just a stock item. But then again lately Iıve
had to plunge so much that my arm is sometimes sore.

I'd wager they both were. Bowls and tanks probably have a standard
connection inasmuch as they're almost commodity items. But a particular bowl
and particular tank are probably designed to work together. Mixing and
matching may introduce inefficiencies that result in a situation worse than
you have now.

As long as your in the mood to replace the toilet, see if you can find an
old 15-gallon (or thereabouts) toilet on Craigslist. Hippies are forever
trying to do the "green" thing by replacing their toilets with compost piles
or somesuch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Larry Weil" wrote

[...]

If you remeber my original post, you will note that I said that I have a
10 inch rough-in, which makes the bowl a special order item. So it's not
quite as easy (or cheap) as running back to get a new bowl.