Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Weil Larry Weil is offline

Default Toilet Advice, or a Tale of Two Lowesą

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Larry Weil" wrote

this could be used with an existing toilet, and he said it could if
the hole pattern matched for the bolts that hold the tank to the
bowl. He suggested that I measure the spacing of the bolts on the
existing toilet and then come back.

This is partly correct.

said that I should not purchase a new tank even if it had the same
bolt spacing. He said the salesman in the first store was wrong,
that even if the bolts match the tanks should only be used on the
bowls for which they are designed, since they all sit on the bowl
differently, and may not seal properly and thus may leak at the
gasket between the tank and the bowl.

This may also be correct.

The answer depends on if the problem is partly the design of the bowl
and how close the design of the new unit's bowl is to the existing
one.

Now, if you can get the base portion separately (and be sure they dont
run out of that model before you get back!) it's possible to try just
the tank back on the existing pedistal but be prepared to have to go
back and get the base then redo it if it doesnt work.

If you remeber my original post, you will note that I said that I have a
10 inch rough-in, which makes the bowl a special order item. So it's not
quite as easy (or cheap) as running back to get a new bowl.