Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Toilet Advice, or a Tale of Two Lowesı

Larry Weil wrote:
I have an older toilet that flushes poorly. Itıs on of the ones that
was made about the time 1.6 gallon toilets became a requirement, i.e.,
they reduced the flow but did nothing to compensate for the lack of
flushing power.

I was in Loweıs yesterday looking for something else, when I noticed
they had some toilet tanks on sale that claim to have superior flush
power, in that they discharge the water faster. I asked the salesman if
this could be used with an existing toilet, and he said it could if the
hole pattern matched for the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. He
suggested that I measure the spacing of the bolts on the existing toilet
and then come back.

So, I took and wrote down the measurements, and since I was headed in a
different direction today I would up at a different Loweıs. So I spoke
to the salesman at this Loweıs, and told him what the salesman in the
other store had said, and showed him the measurements. At this point he
said that I should not purchase a new tank even if it had the same bolt
spacing. He said the salesman in the first store was wrong, that even
if the bolts match the tanks should only be used on the bowls for which
they are designed, since they all sit on the bowl differently, and may
not seal properly and thus may leak at the gasket between the tank and
the bowl.

So, which salesman is correct?

Since it is a big box place where everyone is an expert I would vote for
neither of them.

I know I can always purchase and install a whole new better flushing
toilet, but I was trying to solve the problem on a cheap-and-dirty
basis. I was hoping to be able to use a $10 off any purchase over $50
coupon that I had been given with an earlier purchase. Buying a new
toilet would be rather expensive since my bathroom has a 10 inch
rough-in, so itıs not just a stock item. But then again lately Iıve had
to plunge so much that my arm is sometimes sore.

Thanks for your help.