Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Ceiling fans - remotes

Speaking of ceiling fans, I'm having one installed this week. (50 yr old
house with no ceiling fixture, and the wall switch controls the wall
outlet, but they said it'd be easy to do). I was originally going to
have them wire it so I could control the light or speed separately at
the wall, then the guy doing the estimate suggested getting a remote.

I bought this remote
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02408+10043001
(dang - long link. On the HD site, the sku# is 191707). It's a wall
mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies. I figured that
should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking about the "now it's
cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02408+10043001
(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should I
be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be able
to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll just use
the handheld.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote in
:

Speaking of ceiling fans, I'm having one installed this week. (50 yr
old house with no ceiling fixture, and the wall switch controls the
wall outlet, but they said it'd be easy to do). I was originally going
to have them wire it so I could control the light or speed separately
at the wall, then the guy doing the estimate suggested getting a
remote.

I bought this remote
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100072901&N=10000003+5 0240
8+10043001 (dang - long link.

Take a gander at this some time.

On the HD site, the sku# is 191707).
It's a wall mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies. I
figured that should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking about
the "now it's cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100071965&N=10000003+5 0240
8+10043001 (sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should
I be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be
able to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll
just use the handheld.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Lee wrote in
:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctDisplay?stor
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100072901&N=10000003+5 024
0 8+10043001 (dang - long link.

Take a gander at this some time.

Ooops! Forgot something:-)

Take a gander at this some time: http://tinyurl.com

On the HD site, the sku# is 191707).
It's a wall mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies.
I figured that should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking
about the "now it's cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw
this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctDisplay?stor
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100071965&N=10000003+5 024
0 8+10043001 (sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency,
should I be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I
should be able to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I
guess I'll just use the handheld.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought this remotehttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...
cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw thishttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...
(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should I
be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be able
to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll just use
the handheld.

Thanks.

my 2 hunter douglas fans came with remotes designed for them. Only one
problem - no mention in installation manual of any possibility of
changing remote frequencies. I installed both and then found that
using the remote in the living room also turned on the fan in the
bedroom. Called hunter-douglas, they told me how to change the
frequency.. I had to take one fan down to do so.
PITA. But i love the fans now..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Red Green wrote:

Take a gander at this some time: http://tinyurl.com

I'd thought about using that, but to be honest, I generally won't click
on a tiny url in a newsgroup unless I really "know" the poster
(potential malware sites) and wasn't sure if others would either. So I
figured including the sku# was a sort of compromise in case some
people's newsreaders couldn't deal with the link. (Mine kept it intact
when posted).

But thanks for the reminder; maybe next time I should do a tiny url in
addition to the long string.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote:
Red Green wrote:

Take a gander at this some time: http://tinyurl.com

I'd thought about using that, but to be honest, I generally won't
click on a tiny url in a newsgroup unless I really "know" the poster
(potential malware sites) and wasn't sure if others would either. So I
figured including the sku# was a sort of compromise in case some
people's newsreaders couldn't deal with the link. (Mine kept it intact
when posted).

But thanks for the reminder; maybe next time I should do a tiny url in
addition to the long string.

Not necessary. If you surround your link with angle-brackets " " the
link will render appropriately in a newsreader.

I don't know, nor do I care, how it might work in Google Groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:

Take a gander at this some time: http://tinyurl.com

I'd thought about using that, but to be honest, I generally won't click
on a tiny url in a newsgroup unless I really "know" the poster
(potential malware sites) and wasn't sure if others would either. So I
figured including the sku# was a sort of compromise in case some
people's newsreaders couldn't deal with the link. (Mine kept it intact
when posted).

But thanks for the reminder; maybe next time I should do a tiny url in
addition to the long string.

I generally won't click on a tiny url in a newsgroup
unless I really "know" the poster

Yep, pretty much what I do as well.

The poster of the tiny url also has the option to allow the clicker to
preview the real address before actually going to it.

Here's one to Dewalt tools for a circular saw.

Actual link:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=245

TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/6rcpnr

TinyURL with preview: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rcpnr
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Lee wrote:

[...]

In case anyone was interested in the original question. Yes, both
remotes work as is on the fan (ie, the installers didn't change either
frequency).

Ceiling Fans [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 6th 06 07:17 PM
ceiling fans john wilson Home Repair 0 April 20th 06 05:28 AM
Ceiling fans next to ceiling diffusers [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 17th 05 06:36 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 09:08 PM