Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Ceiling fans - remotes

Lee wrote:

Speaking of ceiling fans, I'm having one installed this week. (50 yr old
house with no ceiling fixture, and the wall switch controls the wall
outlet, but they said it'd be easy to do). I was originally going to
have them wire it so I could control the light or speed separately at
the wall, then the guy doing the estimate suggested getting a remote.

I bought this remote
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02408+10043001

(dang - long link. On the HD site, the sku# is 191707). It's a wall
mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies. I figured that
should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking about the "now it's
cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw this
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02408+10043001
(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should I
be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be able
to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll just use
the handheld.

Thanks.

In case anyone was interested in the original question. Yes, both
remotes work as is on the fan (ie, the installers didn't change either
frequency).