Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mike_0_007@hotmail.com is offline

Default Ceiling fans - remotes

On May 20, 11:05 pm, Lee wrote:
Speaking of ceiling fans, I'm having one installed this week. (50 yr old
house with no ceiling fixture, and the wall switch controls the wall
outlet, but they said it'd be easy to do). I was originally going to
have them wire it so I could control the light or speed separately at
the wall, then the guy doing the estimate suggested getting a remote.

I bought this remotehttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...
(dang - long link. On the HD site, the sku# is 191707). It's a wall
mounted remote that operates on 16 possible frequencies. I figured that
should reduce wiring issues. Then I got to thinking about the "now it's
cold and I want to turn it off" problem, and saw thishttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?sto...
(sku# 191691) which also operates on 16 frequencies.

So question - as long as I set them both to the same frequency, should I
be able to control the fan with either one? I "assumed" I should be able
to, but the sales dude wasn't sure. If it won't, I guess I'll just use
the handheld.

Thanks.

my 2 hunter douglas fans came with remotes designed for them. Only one
problem - no mention in installation manual of any possibility of
changing remote frequencies. I installed both and then found that
using the remote in the living room also turned on the fan in the
bedroom. Called hunter-douglas, they told me how to change the
frequency.. I had to take one fan down to do so.
PITA. But i love the fans now..