Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New furniture !

Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

*************************
From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best - http://tinyurl.com/6ahfdb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

Sure, real furniture. It costs, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i guess it depends on how rough she plans you to be in bed..... I've never
seen particle board furniture break under normal usage.

wrote in message
Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

*************************
From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best - http://tinyurl.com/6ahfdb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

*************************
From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best -
http://tinyurl.com/6ahfdb

First lesson in marriage is that you can't have what you want. Decide
first on a budget and
stick to it. Then, decide where to put quality. For quality or more
expensive items, focus on
those which will have most use and/or are focal in the home. (Nobody
sees the bedroom and
it doesn't matter what you're sleeping on )

Chipboard will last if treated right - hard to find a computer desk or
book case that isn't c.b.

You can schlep around to Goodwill and garage sales or auctions and,
perhaps, find stuff
that is cheap and functional. A lot of ugly stuff can be painted and
made useful. Depending
where you live, you might find an old table for 50 or 100 that is much
better quality than
fakeboard for the same price. Also buy a homeowner's DIY book so's you
can both learn
how to do stuff economically.

Best of luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi guys Im getting married in about a month...

Get out your wallet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

If you can't work this out how are you gonna work out the hundreds of
non-trivial stuff to come? Seriously!

Accept her as-is. She will not change to your way later.
The only person you can chage is yourself.

If those two things are unacceptable to you, maybe you should pass on
this one.

A man thinks the woman he marries will never change; she will. A woman
thinks she can change the man she marries; she can't.

There are exceptions. To the common female complaint: "Why are all the good
men married?", the answer is simple: it's marriage that makes them good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:38*pm, wrote:
Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

*************************
From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best -http://tinyurl.com/6ahfdb

Particle board is cheap stuff but also the glue that outgasses has
Formaldehyde in it and I would not want something so close to me all
night that could make me sick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Particle board is cheap stuff but also the glue that outgasses has
Formaldehyde in it and I would not want something so close to me all
night that could make me sick.

Bah! Man-up, dude.

They put formaldehyde in Vietnamese BEER and it didn't bother anybody!

No, wait...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote

And the sooner you learn the "MMM" (Married Man Motto) the better off you
will be: A HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE!

And this Happy Wife would not appreciate being left out of the
furniture buying process. Talk about asking for trouble, furnishing
the place without her input? It's just common sense, if my intended
went ahead and furnished the place with crappy chipboard, I'd
be annoyed, but even if it was the finest hardword, if it's ugly, same
thing. She's got to like it too.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 8:44*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:

Particle board is cheap stuff but also the glue that outgasses has
Formaldehyde in it and I would not want something so close to me all
night that could make me sick.

Bah! Man-up, dude.

They put formaldehyde in Vietnamese BEER and it didn't bother anybody!

No, wait...

Thats why they are short
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:28:08 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote

And the sooner you learn the "MMM" (Married Man Motto) the better off you
will be: A HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE!

And this Happy Wife would not appreciate being left out of the
furniture buying process. Talk about asking for trouble, furnishing
the place without her input? It's just common sense, if my intended
went ahead and furnished the place with crappy chipboard, I'd
be annoyed, but even if it was the finest hardword, if it's ugly, same
thing. She's got to like it too.

nancy

Who mentioned "common sense" :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:10:55 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 14, 8:44*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:

Particle board is cheap stuff but also the glue that outgasses has
Formaldehyde in it and I would not want something so close to me all
night that could make me sick.

Bah! Man-up, dude.

They put formaldehyde in Vietnamese BEER and it didn't bother anybody!

No, wait...

Thats why they are short

All this time, I thought beer made them talk fast and have an accent!