Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default New furniture !

wrote:

Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the
midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a
sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is
made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent
valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind
of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things,
I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of
chipboard ?
and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

*************************
From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best -
http://tinyurl.com/6ahfdb

First lesson in marriage is that you can't have what you want. Decide
first on a budget and
stick to it. Then, decide where to put quality. For quality or more
expensive items, focus on
those which will have most use and/or are focal in the home. (Nobody
sees the bedroom and
it doesn't matter what you're sleeping on )

Chipboard will last if treated right - hard to find a computer desk or
book case that isn't c.b.

You can schlep around to Goodwill and garage sales or auctions and,
perhaps, find stuff
that is cheap and functional. A lot of ugly stuff can be painted and
made useful. Depending
where you live, you might find an old table for 50 or 100 that is much
better quality than
fakeboard for the same price. Also buy a homeowner's DIY book so's you
can both learn
how to do stuff economically.

Best of luck.