Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hard Wiring Corded Appliances

On 2008-05-04, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The host cut a hole in the wall to recess the unit and also cut the
plug off the cord, fed it through a hole in a stud and said "We could
plug the unit into an outlet, but we'll let the electrician wire it
into the existing outlet on the other side of this wall."

Is it code compliant to wire a small appliance in this manner? Can I
cut the plugs off my toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. and hardwire
them onto a junction box?

No, it is not code compliant. Flexible cord (article 400 of the NEC)
is not to be used as a substitute for permanent premises wiring. If
the appliance has a junction box where the internal wiring is
connected to the cord, then you could remove the whole cord and use an
appropriate wiring method (as from Chapter 3 of the NEC) to connect
the appliance junction box to your household junction box. I'm not
100% sure that would even be OK, as you might be violating the UL
listing of the appliance.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:49*pm, Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2008-05-04, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Gosh; 'No'.
Nor in Canada either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
On 2008-05-04, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Another reason would be that the cord and plug serve as a disconnecting
means