Posted to alt.home.repair

Default striiping copper wire

Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Much more, probably double or triple

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 5:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Stripping's a lot of trouble.

Burn it.

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires
hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that
has been done.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

You will get top dollar for bare copper wire. Steel is also going for a
good price now so keep the armor for the scrap yard as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

Burn it.

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires
hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that
has been done.

Harry K

******************************

Ship it to India. They have the kids do it there for just pennies.

The History Channel had a show called "Ship Breakers" whee they scrap old
ships. If they repeat it, be sure to watch it and be thankful you were born
elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On May 4, 5:37 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard
unstripped. Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Stripping's a lot of trouble.

Burn it.

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires
hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that
has been done.

You didn't mention the "very good reason" unless slavish obsequiousness to
EPA regulations is one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 7:18*am, wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Copper is near 4$ a lb. 3-4x what it was a few years ago, actualy you
could make money melting Pennies, the older ones without alooy added,
but recently a law was passed making it illegal. Burn off the
insulation and check prices, your local scrap guy might sell it to a
smelter nearby that will pay you alot more for a small drive. I think
near $1.40 lb is what pennies break even at, and now at near 4.00
there is alot of money in copper. In Chicago people are stripping
telephone lines in alleys, pulling wire and pipe out of new
construction, stealing copper gutters and downspouts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 May 2008 06:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On May 4, 5:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Stripping's a lot of trouble.

Burn it.

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires
hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that
has been done.

Harry K

I've never heard about the EPA doing hazard clean up when cars pile up
and tires burn. Dozen vehicles in a pile from fog (VA), smoke (FL),
and who knows what in CA.

They are saving the Super Fund money....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

In Chicago people are stripping
telephone lines in alleys, pulling wire and pipe out of new
construction, stealing copper gutters and downspouts.

In Las Vegas they do the same. Here, one section of Freeway is without
lights. They park behind the sound barrier walls and pull wire from
the freeway lights. They caught some people and promptly put them in
prisonl after a speedy fair trial.

Heard one story where a crook electrician: STUBBED short wires to look
like outlet boxes had wires in them. The house had to be wired....)

Posted to alt.home.repair

opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped..Will I get more money
if it is stripped.

CALL-THE-SCRAP-YARD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 7:28*pm, aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/4/2008 5:18 AM spake thus:

Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

You're not one of those folks who "liberates" cable from construction
sites and accessible wiring in apartment buildings, are you? Why should
we tell you?

Like the son of a bitch who recently cut out my catalytic converter from
under my van. Probably used a portable Sawzall, nice clean cut ...

Well, if you're gonna get ripped off anyway, better to be ripped off by
a pro. Less collateral damage. Between house and car, I've probably been
robbed 6-8 times. You can definitely tell the kids from the
professionals. Once, they slap-hammered the hatchback lock on my car,
causing 100+ $ damage, when all they had to do was look underneath and
chisel off one little rivet to get the cylinder to pop out. (In that
case, they were ballsy as well- 3 PM Sunday afternoon in a crowded
Target parking lot.)

--
aem sends...

As I said, burn the insulation off in a fire in a barrel , contact
several Smelters, and get MO Money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2008 6:44 PM ransley spake thus:

As I said, burn the insulation off in a fire in a barrel , contact
several Smelters, and get MO Money

So you don't care that you're releasing toxic crap into the air? Figures.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 9:05*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/4/2008 6:44 PM ransley spake thus:

As I said, burn the insulation off in a fire in a barrel , contact
several Smelters, and get MO Money

So you don't care that you're releasing toxic crap into the air? Figures.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

No, your air time and bs post released more toxic crap into the air
then tellin a guy to loose money ever will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 9:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On May 4, 5:37 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard
unstripped. Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Stripping's a lot of trouble.

Burn it.

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. *EPA requires
hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that
has been done.

You didn't mention the "very good reason" unless slavish obsequiousness to
EPA regulations is one.

Per the article in my local paper the other day, burning produces PCBs
and other contaminants, very black dense smoke, residue contains
hazardous metal such as lead, etc. Anyone seeing one of those fires
shouldn't need a reason as it should be obvious it ain't good for the
environment. Seems since teh price of scrap has skyrocketed they are
finding lots of these burn sites in out-of-the-way places.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 1:55*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm facing the same question. I got a couple hundred pounds of BX wire.
Found I could pull the wire from about two feet sections, not much longer
than that. Makes for a lot of work.

I'm sure the wire is worth more, if you pull the copper out. But is the
labor worth the extra money? I'm not sure. A friend of mine who handles junk
says not.

Call the wrecking yards around you. One offered me next to nothing, another
wrecking yard offered me money for the BX. I'll take it in tomorrow, hope
they actually pay out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with
metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped.
Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Have you priced what scrap clean copper is going for? Your time isn't
worth a couple hundred bucks?

Harry K